What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need A Primer on Exp Avionics

StuBob

Well Known Member
There's a lot of good information on VAF, but there's so much interest in individual trees that a view of the forest can be difficult. So, for instance, I know more about a particular company's customer service than its products.

What I need is a book, magazine, or website that explains what's available and what are the components of various systems. Who makes EFIS systems and how do they differ? Which GPS sources will or won't interface with which EFIS? What about ADS-B? AOA? The sooner I'm somewhat informed, the longer I have to look for deals.

Manufacturers' sites are an obvious source, but only if you know who they are. It seems that Kitplanes might have an avionics roundup periodically, but I was unable to find one on the site.

Thanks in advance. Great site, etc.

There's a lot of good information on VAF, but there's so much interest in individual trees that a view of the forest can be difficult. So, for instance, I know more about a particular company's customer service than its products.

What I need is a book, magazine, or website that explains what's available and what are the components of various systems. Who makes EFIS systems and how do they differ? Which GPS sources will or won't interface with which EFIS? What about ADS-B? AOA? The sooner I'm somewhat informed, the longer I have to look for deals.

Manufacturers' sites are an obvious source, but only if you know who they are. It seems that Kitplanes might have an avionics roundup periodically, but I was unable to find one on the site.

Thanks in advance. Great site, etc.

Hello Stuart,

You are absolutely right that there is lots of great information on this website, but most threads are focused on specific aspects of the various systems that are available.

We (at Garmin) really value our time at Sun-N-Fun and Oshkosh every year because it gives us the opportunity to meet customers and demonstrate "real" G3X and G3X Touch systems. It is hard to beat that kind of hands-on exposure to the equipment and company representatives when you have questions that need to be answered.

We also give seminars and answer questions at these events each year that are a good general overview of the entire system which are well attended by those preparing to choose a system.

Here is a link to a video that Brian made which is similar to some of the seminars that are given which you might find useful.

G3X Overview

Let us know if you have additional questions. You can reach us by phone or email as shown below.

Thanks,
Steve

There is so much information and features are changing and being added so quickly that there is not really any good way to do what you are wanting without it being obsolete within a few months, and there is probably nobody willing to spend the time and money keeping things updated so they are relevant and current all the time.

As I and others have said many times on here and elsewhere, probably the best way for you to get what you are wanting is to talk to a panel builder who installs most or all of the current systems and pick their brain about the features that are available and integration and flexibility of systems. For example, system A is very flexible and integrates with many 3rd party components, system B is very powerful and stable but they only play nicely with their own modules, system 3 lacks certain features but is very scalable and build-as-you-go, etc. keep in mind, though, that most companies that can help you with this are making a living doing it, so it's a good idea to at least buy the system brought them even if you don't have them do the panel for you.

Stuart,

I agree that you can do all of the reading and analysis you want, but it won't tell you everything you need to know. I thought I had settled on one vendor for my panel when I was building the -7. Then I went to Oshkosh and spent some quality time with each system, and with each vendor. That experience convinced me to go a different direction.

So yes, definitely do your research into Garmin, Dynon, Advanced, GRT, MGL and whomever else. See if any of them have "show-stopping" deficiencies for you (unlikely). See if there's a big difference in cost for what you want. Then definitely go to SnF or Oshkosh and spend some time using each of their setups to see which one you like best.

Oh, and don't commit until you're ready to actually buy and install something -- which should probably be about the last thing you do before flying! Given the advances in technology and the intense competition, you should be ready to chuck it all and start over if and when a new generation comes out. Garmin and Dynon especially have been playing leap-frog for the past few years, and we experimental builders/pilots benefit from it. If you want to hear a sad tale, listen to guys who bought their whole panel in the early stages of their build.

Since the OP asked about Kitplanes, I'll have to say that I have tried to figure out a way to do a meaningful Avionics Guide ever since I was given the opportunity to steer the magazine almost three years ago now. As others have suggested, the rapid changes in technology and products and the relatively slow pace of preparing and publishing a print magazine conspire against us in trying to make anything useful. There is simply no way, with budgets being what they are, of pulling all the information together in a timely fashion such that it isn't obsolete by the time it gets pblished.

You'd think that I'd have a staff position for an "Avionics Editor" who's job it would be to do just what is being asked - but alas, that's not how the publishing world - and Kitplanes - works. We have no staff writers - just dedicated contributors who write the many fine articles free-lance, in addition to making their regular livings in the real world. And lead times are much longer for our type of book than most people realize - to the point that if I get a hot tip on a new device, the only place to debute it is on our website. Otherwise, its old news when it comes out.

With the help of one of my regular writers (and Editor of Aviation Consumer) Larry Anglisano, we're going to try and bring out some regular articles on various parts of the avionics package (look for his wrap-up on Audio Panels in our February edition ) in the coming year. But these will still be snapshots in time. As tedious as it might seem, mining web sites and going to shows is still the most practical and up to date method I know to recommend for shopping for magic boxes. (And, of course, in the "How to" world of shopping, installation, and use of said magic boxes, we still have Stein Bruch sending the occasional artcile by pony express from the frozen tundra......).

We're not alone with this problem - when was the last time you picked up a printed stereo buyers guide at a news stand and then were able to actually find the model numbers in a real store? The pace of change in any electronics category is just too fast for print if you are trying for a comprehensive guide.

Last edited:
Stuart,

I'd suggest that you start at the beginning - define the avionics requirements for the mission of the aircraft.

It is easy to start chasing "nice to have" features which seem to roll out every few months and loose sight of the actual requirements for the aircraft.

Thanks, guys.

I'd thought of calling Stein or someone, but it seems abusive to burn up his time so early in the game. OTOH, I'll be ordering wings pretty soon, and I need to know where to put holes.

Good to get input from Garmin. I've heard of that one. ;)

Paul, thanks for your input. I suspected lead time was a factor.

Good advice to wait as long as possible. Also, with rare exceptions, there is no wrong choice when you use an experienced, reputable manufacturer.

There seems to be a feature race from the major vendors. Many features add complexity but can be of minimal value for the average day VFR pilot, so don't get carried away spending more than required for your mission. Putting an IFR panel in a VFR aircraft for 'resale value' won't likely pay off because it will all be old tech in 5 years anyway.

I'd like to see more focus by the vendors on improving ease of use and legibility and lowering cost, but perhaps the market is not mature enough yet for refinements yet.

I applaud the major vendors for AoA, autopilots, autotrim, ADS-B and other features that enhance safety and convenience. Next up will probably be ground collision avoidance systems. Fun times.

I have a car that can drive hands free down the highway and even stop the car when I fall asleep. Kind of freaky, but a good example of technology being used to enhance safety. Too bad the touch screens and voice recognition are so frustratingly difficult to use. Lucky I can override part of it and use Siri to help!

V

Just run conduit for wires and plan for a pitot AND AOA line and you'll be good to go.

I second the need for a basic primer on glass panels. For me, being so new to aviation, I don't really care if the primer is up to the minute in what's available. I'm more interested in an explanation of the basic components, how they are integrated together, what the major sellers currently offer, and what is on the horizon technologically. Case in point, I recently was shopping for a new power meter for my road cycling endeavors. I found a great article on power meters and features, who sells what, followed by a section on up and coming technology. Perfect.

There should be ...

...no hurry for you in selecting avionics. This field changes at lightspeed as others have said. I guarantee present avionics will be very outdated by the time you are ready for those decisions. In the interim you'll have plenty of time for research.

Relax, build your RV and don't jump on the latest and best.

Oh, and be aware that avionics are the fastest depreciating assets in your project. I have an example that was $5k 10 yrs ago now used ones are $1k at best and orphaned by factory.

Stuart,

I'd suggest that you start at the beginning - define the avionics requirements for the mission of the aircraft.

It is easy to start chasing "nice to have" features which seem to roll out every few months and loose sight of the actual requirements for the aircraft.

Completely agree. Define what 90% of your flying will be and what your APPROXIMATE budget will be. Once you have an idea about this (your thoughts may later change) then narrow it to 2 or 3 manufacturers. Don't make your final decision until the absolute last second. IMHO this area of experimental aviation is changing faster than any other so it behooves you to wait and see.

Good luck.
:cool:

Back