What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plugging a Tablet into Skyview USB port

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
My Nexus tablet can be connected to an USB plug via a mini USB cable (mini USB is on the tablet side, the other end is a regular USB connector. When plugged into the Skyview USB port it shows that the Tablet is charging. I have two questions:
- How much Amps can I draw from the Skyview?
- Can I download the Skyview Data directly to my tablet rather than using an USB stick?
I am posting this on the Dynon Forum but this might be of interest to some in the RV-12 Forum too.

Typically 500 ma

WingedFrog - The industry standard for current draw from a USB port is 500 milliamps. This equates to half an amp of current draw.

This assumes the chips that Dynon uses to interface to the USB port are of the standard variety.

Stein sells USB ports you can add to your panel. That would probably be better than trying to power something from the SkyView.

IIRC, the Skyview is picky about what types of partitions it will read. I think it was only "FAT" partitions.

If you want to be able to deploy updates from your tablet, I would suggest getting a USB on the go ("USB OTG") cable. You can then plug a properly formatted flash drive into the OTG cable and plug that into your tablet. For the Nexus, you may need an app called Stickmount, and I believe that requires your tablet to be rooted.

There are other phones/tablets that do not require the app or root to write to USB storage.

Back