What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aligning Holes to Spar (HS)

MJarreau

Well Known Member
I am working on the HS and have assembled it for the second time. I cannot get the rear spar holes to align with the one of the skins. Is this something that takes elbow grease? I'm a bit afraid of using that!

Thanks,
Mike

Not sure exactly where you are indicating, but my experience has almost universally been when something did not align, it was because I did not closely follow the directions and fit things exactly as called out in the plans. Rarely I have encountered an error in machining. Maybe once or twice and I am onto the finish kit. I would recommend against elbow grease until you have exhausted all possibilities and discussed it with Van's.

Does it look like this picture below? Is the problem in the same spot?

It's been a while, but I believe the way Ken explained it to me was that the RV-10 spar is longer than the CNC punch press, and has to be re-positioned once during punching. For mine, somehow the part was not aligned properly and all of the holes ended up being 1/2d off after a certain point. They ended up sending me a new spar.

2013-05-06%2019.16.55.jpg

Didn't think of that....

Thanks for the thoughts. I was able to do the final drilling (alignment was fine for that) so I think the spar is fine. When I went to re-assemble the holes were partially off-center. I'll try flipping it like Fracrat suggested. Not inclined to force anything.

Resolved....

It looks like several posts are missing. Anyway...

We resolved the issue by using ideas from above and the posts that are missing. We initially tried turning the rear spar around thinking our markings were not right. Same result. We returned to the notated orientation.

We then installed the spar by installing clecos from the center of the spar, moving outward. This time, we used the recommended idea to install rivets in every other hole to help maintain alignment throughout the process. The use of rivets required us to use a punch (#30) to ever-so-slightly move the spar and skin until the rivets would join both components.

We feel like kings at the moment. We expect to remain this way until we start the next step. :D

Thank you all so much!

Back