What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking about buying an RV-3 or RV-4

donaziza

Well Known Member
I just sold my RV 8 about 4 months ago and have been having a terrible case of "sellers remorse" ever since.:( I started looking at RV 3's & 4's ( in the trades). Can anyone out there tell me the difference between an RV 3, RV 3A & RV 3B? Something about wing fuel mods vs fuselage fuel mods? ( I dunno):confused: And then there's also the RV 4, a two seater. There's a really nice looking 215 HP RV 3 Harmon Rocket for sale with an AEIO 360 1A engine in it. I know the IO 360 is a fuel injected 180 HP engine, so I don't know how he's getting the 215 HP? I also don't know what the "AE" stands for. I also don't know what a "catto" prop is. Can anyone enlighten me?

Then there's Van's home page on RV 3's. In it, Vans says with an RV 3, do not pull more than 4.4 G's unless you've had a a "spar modification" done. That sounds very scary AND expensive. How would one know if that's really been done or not?

Any help/advice/education you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

From memory when I was looking at -3's myself a few years ago:

The 3 was the original model. Spar limitation now to 4.4G without spar mods. Fuel in fuselage ahead of instrument panel and behind firewall.

The 3A was the original 3, with an "after construction" mod added to the wing. If I recall clearly, it was a rear spar upgrade near the fuselage attach point. I don't recall what the G-limitation was after this upgrade. Fuel also in fuselage.

The 3B is the "fully upgraded" or "current" design, rated to full G load. The B wings have leading edge tanks like the later 3's if they are recent, but may not have leading edge tanks if it was an earlier kit upgraded during construction.

It's all very confusing. :)

Answer to Catto prop

Catto, arguably, makes the best fixed pitch prop for the money. His props are much stronger than wood props and have been featured on Reno Air racers to quite a few RV's on this forum. I don't think you will hear a bad word about his business or product. I emailed about a possible prop for a Pulsar and Craig responded back not only on the same day but within an hour. His customer service was impeccable.

The "AE" prefix on a Lycoming engine means it's an aerobatic engine (with wet sump). That generally means it's equipped with fuel and oil systems that are capable of sustaining inverted flight.

Not sure what has been done to this particular engine, but porting, hi compression, forward facing sump, high lift rockers, 4 into 1 exhaust, and electronic ignition are the usual mods. Combined they probably get close to 215 hp. Add in a hotter cam and blueprinting and balancing and you are probably there.

Last edited:
engine and wing

There is angle valve and parallel valve variants on the 360. Angle valve is heavier, but arguably has better combustion chambers.

I'd suggest spend a bit of time reading in the rv-3 section. The search function works really well and the wing mods have been discussed.

I too saw the rocket on barnstormers, looks lovely and I'm sure would be a riot to fly! For me, if I were contemplating the purchase of such an airplane, it be all the usual pre-buy plus a bit of research making sure I could be comfortable with expected flying weight. I'd take into account the empty weight, wing mods done, pilot weight, documented G tests, expected mission, and etc.

Reading up more on the Harmon mods would also be in order. I know at least some of the Harmons reduced wing area but I don't know if that was part of the 3's mods.

Best of luck on your search!

Thanks for the help guys. Since I posted the original thread, a couple of friends in the know called. Nothing against RV 3's, but they said concentrate on an RV 4 instead. 2 seats--better resale potential. I guess I will take their advice. Also don't have to worry about those wing spar fuel mods on the RV 3A & 3B.

Thanks for the help guys. Since I posted the original thread, a couple of friends in the know called. Nothing against RV 3's, but they said concentrate on an RV 4 instead. 2 seats--better resale potential. I guess I will take their advice. Also don't have to worry about those wing spar fuel mods on the RV 3A & 3B.

As much as I love the -3, I do think that having it as your ONLY airplane requires a very special circumstance - someone who truly doesn't ever need to carry a passenger - or has another airplane to travel with a "rider". The -4 is the only RV I haven't flown, but everyone tells me it is awfully sweet. I can't imagine it is better than a -3, but if you haven't flown a -3, then you won't know what you're missing....;)

Paul

RV

I told you not to sell;). I don't recall seeing you with a passenger, so the three may be the answer. The 4 will give you the option tho----. Wish I knew of one for sale.

I'll be down in the Atlanta area with my -4 in about a week and a half. I'll be over at Mallard's landing, just a stone's throw from Tara and the motor speedway.

I'll be down in the Atlanta area with my -4 in about a week and a half. I'll be over at Mallard's landing, just a stone's throw from Tara and the motor speedway.

Hi Dan, I know where Mallard's Landing is. Flown in there many times. Any chance of coming down and seeing your RV 4? Would you shoot me a PM?

Have both, love both (3&4)

If $$$ are a big consideration, the -3 burns less fuel, insurance is much cheaper, ELT not required in single seat/SPOT locator is better anyway (chk sends email to my wife anywhere/anytime), can do most aero and stay within the 4.4 G limit. I have only had one pax in the -4 in 3.5 years; most flights are some aero and and I have no chute for a pax - most pax would put my -4 over the weight for aero.

If I were to sell one, which would I sell, which would I keep - dunno!

Barney, in Memphis
RV-3 & -4 flying
paid up for 2012

A plug for the 3A

I'm late to the party on this string but gotta put in my plug for the 3A. I've owned several aircraft over the years but this is hands down my favorite. Cheap to buy, cheap to fly, low maintenance, great performance on little gas. The 3 series has the best cockpit in the Van's line. The tip-over canopy provides best view. The tailwheel and nose high stance makes you feel cocky as **** on the ground and makes every landing much more satisfying. The tiny airframe tucks into the hanger with plenty of room for my E-350 Van and travel trailer too. The fuselage tank is easy to stick measure gas with great precision, which means you don't need to fly around with more gas than you need. Does very fine loops and rolls under 4g's. Not set up for IFR or continuous inverted flight but don't miss it either. No pax to worry about. My bird has 160hp, wood climb prop. At low to moderate power settings I routinely burn 5 gal/hour. The only caution is to avoid overspeed when messing around with vertical maneuvers. The main purchase consideration might be the 1050 pound max weight for acro, and your body weight and fuel plus empty weight. I weigh 160 in street cloths, and launch with 8 gallons to be at 1050 pounds with 7 gallons when I reach my zone. I do my thing for awhile, and return and land with 3-4 gallons remaining. A full 23 gallons for occassional X-country trips (typically 1 long trek NH-FL-NH and 3-4 more local trips per year) takes me way further each leg than my bladder likes. Net/net, I expect to own this airplane as long as I can fly.
If you find a clean 3A, I would take a hard look. Best bang for the buck for flying satisfaction out there.

-4 in Covington....

Your welcome to check out my -4 if you'd like, just let me know! There's even a -3A you can check out a stones throw from COV.

I'm late to the party on this string but gotta put in my plug for the 3A. I've owned several aircraft over the years but this is hands down my favorite. Cheap to buy, cheap to fly, low maintenance, great performance on little gas. The 3 series has the best cockpit in the Van's line. The tip-over canopy provides best view. The tailwheel and nose high stance makes you feel cocky as **** on the ground and makes every landing much more satisfying. The tiny airframe tucks into the hanger with plenty of room for my E-350 Van and travel trailer too. The fuselage tank is easy to stick measure gas with great precision, which means you don't need to fly around with more gas than you need. Does very fine loops and rolls under 4g's. Not set up for IFR or continuous inverted flight but don't miss it either. No pax to worry about. My bird has 160hp, wood climb prop. At low to moderate power settings I routinely burn 5 gal/hour. The only caution is to avoid overspeed when messing around with vertical maneuvers. The main purchase consideration might be the 1050 pound max weight for acro, and your body weight and fuel plus empty weight. I weigh 160 in street cloths, and launch with 8 gallons to be at 1050 pounds with 7 gallons when I reach my zone. I do my thing for awhile, and return and land with 3-4 gallons remaining. A full 23 gallons for occassional X-country trips (typically 1 long trek NH-FL-NH and 3-4 more local trips per year) takes me way further each leg than my bladder likes. Net/net, I expect to own this airplane as long as I can fly.
If you find a clean 3A, I would take a hard look. Best bang for the buck for flying satisfaction out there.

Word... :D

Back