What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Linux flight planning software

Steve Brown

Well Known Member
Thinking of dumping windows for many reasons. Flight planning software is one of those things I cannot do without.

I did a search and found some very old stuff, which makes me nervus since I need access to current av data base.

Any relatively recent Linux based flight planning software?

AOPA

Hi Steve,

Aopa's new flight planning s/w works w/ Linux. I've used it with the Ubuntu distribution without any problems for a number of years. Heck, I've even used it with a Nokia N810 (a little cumbersome due to the screen size) which is also Linux based.

Regards,

Hi Steve:

I am big Linux user and very rarely find a need to boot my Windows virtual machine (about the only time I do it is to update my iPhone software, etc).

Most of my flight planning is done on-line so I don't have a need for anything else. I use runwayfinder.com or skyvector.com to map out routes, etc and use weathermeister.com for weather. I don't find that I need anything else.

What flight planning software are you using now?

BTW: If you're not familiar with Virtual Machines -- Virtual Box is about all you need in terms of VMs. :) It is awesome...and free...and pretty much negates 99% of people's concerns with installing Linux.

As a Linux user myself (my only Windows computer is on my desk at work), i'd like to find something too. Right now, all my flight planning is done using CoPilot on my iPhone, and the iPhone syncs to my Windows PC at work (unfortunately there's no Linux equivalent to iTunes that gives me an App store, music management, etc.).

Linux - pilot logbook

While we're at it, anyone using a computer logbook with Linux. I've not been able to get Logbook Pro working in Ubuntu under WINE.

Barney, in Memphis

While we're at it, anyone using a computer logbook with Linux. I've not been able to get Logbook Pro working in Ubuntu under WINE.
I tried a few, and even a few online versions, but gave them all up and went back to a simple spreadsheet. Well, sort of simple... Mine has two pages, the second page has the raw data, and the first page is the summary page that automagically calculates my currency numbers for me.

Can I still say it's Linux-based if I created it in OpenOffice? :) I did use versions of OpenOffice at home and at work while working out the currency calculations.

The biggest problem I had with any of the commercial packages, is that it's darn near impossible to migrate your data. These programs won't be around forever, and having your data tied to one means you always have to have a computer with *that* program installed if you want to see your data. All I have to carry is my spreadsheet, Excel and OpenOffice can both open and edit it, which pretty much means any computer I come across these days, windows, mac, or linux.

I'm using Flightsoft from RMS Technology

Rob,

It's been around for a long time. I've been using it for only about 4 years, but have grown reliant been mostly happy with it.

I have considered going your route and using a spread sheet. That's what I did in the early 90s. Couple of problems"
-I want the charts I get from RMS because I carry very little paper in the cockpit.
-I like the graphical planning interface
-I like having weather integrated with the graphical planning interface

Problem is I also decided I don't want micro soft running my life anymore.

So, this is going to boil down to some compromises.

I tried a few, and even a few online versions, but gave them all up and went back to a simple spreadsheet. Well, sort of simple... Mine has two pages, the second page has the raw data, and the first page is the summary page that automagically calculates my currency numbers for me.

Can I still say it's Linux-based if I created it in OpenOffice? :) I did use versions of OpenOffice at home and at work while working out the currency calculations.

The biggest problem I had with any of the commercial packages, is that it's darn near impossible to migrate your data. These programs won't be around forever, and having your data tied to one means you always have to have a computer with *that* program installed if you want to see your data. All I have to carry is my spreadsheet, Excel and OpenOffice can both open and edit it, which pretty much means any computer I come across these days, windows, mac, or linux.

DUATS Golden Eagle (Free)

Go here: http://www.duats.com/cirrus.shtml and download the excellent free flight planner. Install WINE on your Linux box and run the planner under that. With newer versions of Ubuntu it will work well. Mine was installed under a Windows partition and then you run it from there - Ubuntu can read the Windows partition. I don't know what you do if there is no Windows for doing the install.

This planner, if you choose to spend for the extras, can incorporate sectionals. I don't bother but I did try it out and it worked well.

DGE works with DUATS to file flight plans, get legal briefings, see WX overlaid on the map, etc. This is a really good planner and it's free.

-I want the charts I get from RMS because I carry very little paper in the cockpit.
-I like the graphical planning interface
-I like having weather integrated with the graphical planning interface
Ah, I see my post wasn't clear... I was referring to using a spreadsheet for the Logbook, not for flight planning. I haven't even thought about what it would take to make a spreadsheet for flight planning.

Right now I use CoPilot on my iPhone for planning, but I expect to start using the built-in flight planner in my new Garmin Aera 500 while enroute.

Back