What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAB Avionics minimum plan

I'm considering Using a single G5 , Stratus ESGI Transponder with
I-Pad/Foreflight and Remote mount com radio as minimal avionics package to get going.
Add or update as needed later. ABSB is required in my area.

edit: EIS to be determined

What's everyone's thoughts on this set up?

Thanks
Joe

Last edited:
First thought is: Why?

If the concern is cost, and the plan is to upgrade later, why not install some steam gauges instead or as well? They're available used dirt cheap these days, and won't require any wiring to get you going. Or watch for a used Dynon D10A here on VAF... They come up frequently as people upgrade to larger glass.

Don’t spend money on anything that isn’t part of the long term plan. The stratus, for instance, won’t integrate with Garmin stuff if you go that way later.

Don’t spend money on anything that isn’t part of the long term plan. The stratus, for instance, won’t integrate with Garmin stuff if you go that way later.

+1

I’ve seen cobbled together stuff that creates more pain than performance. The fix is always the same - rip everything out and start over.

Design your end state, then add components that support that end state. The first step, a VFR panel with single EFIS screen, two axis autopilot, ADS-B in and out and real EMS is not all that expensive and saves a lot of pain down the road.

Carl

I'm considering Using a single G5 , Stratus ESGI Transponder with
I-Pad/Foreflight and Remote mount com radio as minimal avionics package to get going.
Add or update as needed later. ABSB is required in my area.

edit: EIS to be determined

What's everyone's thoughts on this set up?

Thanks
Joe

I like it. You get a lot of functionality without a Big investment and without recurring subscription costs. I would add an EIS and call *this* your plan. In everyone’s *long* term, everything gets ripped out. Obsolescence is progress and (thankfully) still ongoing. I would think you could happily fly this setup for > 5 years and have gotten your money’s worth. The money saved buys a lot of insurance/hangar/gas ...

FWIW: I fly steam gauges, Icom A-210, a Stratus ESG, Stratus 3, and iPad/ForeFlight. Works fine. My next upgrade is probably to lose the vacuum system in favor of a G5 or AV-30.

I love the simplicity of your design, but unfortunately I don't think in the end it is going to give you the most economical solution and that is because of integrating engine monitoring. Adding in the cost to display the engine information is going to bump up the total cost of the system to the point where you could use a single efis screen to display both flight information and engine information.

If you need a minimum of ADS-B out, you should at least have a Map portion on your screen so that you can also see other planes on your map, electronically via the ADS-B. ADS-B 2020 out is required when you are in busy airspace, class C and B, I believe?
A minimum of ADS-B out doesn't mean he needs ADS-B *in* at all.

Go for it. That's all you need to fly. There are plenty of Cubs, Champs, T-craft and the like with less than that.

Food for thought, and just an example, but you could buy a GRT Sport EX for $1500, that includes basic engine monitoring, an echoUAT ADSB-IN/OUT unit for $1400, and a used GTX-327 for about ~400 these days. A GTR-200 gets you a great comm radio and intercom system for $1400.

https://grtavionics.com/product/sport-ex-efis/
https://grtavionics.com/product/uavionix-echouat-grt-safe-fly-gps-package/
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garmin_11-17116.php?clickkey=802032

That system would give you a full MFD with mapping and engine monitoring, ads-b in and out, and a comm. Want an A/P later? Just add servos, the GRT has built in AP functions.

Lots of other combinations you could do, and different manufacturers, but I think you may be unnecessarily limiting yourself.

Chris

Back