What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Comm Setup with no GPS

Sandrews

Well Known Member
Not putting a built in GPS in my-10. Question is how do most setup a dual comm system? Usually see the GPS receiver as comm 1 with a different comm radios as comm 2. I'm running a Dynon Skyview HDX with the Dynon comm radio. Do I just run duplicate Dynon Comm Radios for comm 1 and comm 2? Not sure that I've seen any modern panels with duplicate radio setup.

Thanks

OMG -- no standalone panel mounted GPS! :eek::eek::eek::p;) Please don't tell us you are also going to rely on paper charts! Oh the humanity. ;) Seriously, not a Dynon guy but a second Dynon radio seems the easiest solution if you want dual NAV/COMS. That's how SPAM cans did it forever (ie two KX155s, two ARC whatever's, etc).

Last edited:
If you're VFR only a panel-mounted (hardwired) GPS is silly. There's one built into the Skyview, and any tablet-based or portable solution will work just fine.

I think Dynon has said two of their comm radios will work just fine--you will only be able to "push" frequencies to one of them from the Skyview display, but otherwise they'll work.

Not putting a built in GPS in my-10. Question is how do most setup a dual comm system? Usually see the GPS receiver as comm 1 with a different comm radios as comm 2. I'm running a Dynon Skyview HDX with the Dynon comm radio. Do I just run duplicate Dynon Comm Radios for comm 1 and comm 2? Not sure that I've seen any modern panels with duplicate radio setup.

Thanks

Depending on how you intend to fly, a lot of modern radios have the capability to not only "flip-flop" between two frequencies, but give you the ability to monitor the backup frequency. This is essentially the same functionality as two radios without the flip-flop and an audio panel.

Modern radios are very reliable, You might do,just fine with one for basic VFR.

Dual A-210s

Thanks

I have dual ICOM A-210 radios connected to a Garmin GMA-240 audio panel. Typically use COMM 1 for Unicom / ATC and COMM 2 for AWOS.

The Dynon radio works great in my RV-10, I recommend it.

The SkyView will provide superior GPS performance to most panel mounted TSO GPS navigators, and will also provide 2020 compliant ADS-B out.

If you pick the SL-30 for one of your radios you will have a superb radio and what I consider the best VOR/ILS receiver out there. While you cannot shoot GPS approaches (legally) with the SkyView, you can do ILS approaches with the SL-30. The SL-30 feeding the SkyView HSI works well (have done this in an RV-8A)

Carl

Ahh, ok, looks like I don't need two comms for what I'm trying to accomplish. My goal is monitor the atis while having atc on active. Looks like the Dynon radio allows you to do this already.

From Dynon website:

"Don't Miss a Thing: Dual watch allows you to listen for transmissions on both your active and standby frequencies simultaneously, with the active taking priority at all times. Use dual watch to monitor an alternate frequency in busy airspace or listen to ATIS without missing anything on the active. "

Depending on how you intend to fly, a lot of modern radios have the capability to not only "flip-flop" between two frequencies, but give you the ability to monitor the backup frequency. This is essentially the same functionality as two radios without the flip-flop and an audio panel.

Modern radios are very reliable, You might do,just fine with one for basic VFR.

Perfect. Thank you James. This is the case with the Dynon radio.

Monitoring the second frequency is nice, but it IS NOT the same as having 2 radios. First of all, if a radio fails, then you go from 2 frequencies to zero in a single com setup. That has happened before. Second, if you are monitoring the standby frequency, it mutes any time you receive on the primary, so a busy freq on primary makes the standby monitor function useless.

There are ways to have 2 COM's without an audio panel. That is what I would do.

...a lot of modern radios have the capability to not only "flip-flop" between two frequencies, but give you the ability to monitor the backup frequency.
Yes, my Icom A210 does that. In the DUAL mode you can listen to both the active and standby frequencies (The active has priority, of course). I use that quite often to listen to destination ATIS while I'm with ATC. I'm poor and only have one radio and no panel-mounted GPS.

I have a backup hand held radio that I carry in case my main radio goes out. Obviously not as convenient but rules out the "no radio" scenario. Also I will be installing an audio panel for the purpose of 4 place intercom and music interface. Looking at the possibly of adding second radio since I already have an audio panel, but I like the monitoring feature of the single radio.

The Dynon SV COMM dual-watch works pretty good, as long as your ATC isn't too busy. Here in SoCal there is so much traffic on ATC I have to listen for ages to get the ATIS on the standby frequency between chatter on the primary frequency. The dual-watch sound can be kind of choppy sounding, since it is hopping back and forth between the standby and primary frequency, but in most cases if you are just trying to get ATIS it works great. I've thought about adding a second SV COMM, but really haven't had a need being VFR only. The Dynon intercom handles 2 COMM's but you have to install a switch to select which one you want to transmit/listen to, so it really isn't a good solution as compared to a real audio panel.

Dual Dynon comms

They work great and with Dynon it is plug and play as likely know. I had two set up in my RV7 and loved it, just had single switch for transmit select, Both fed into the intercom 100% of the time, so volume control was used to select audio. If you have an audio panel that will define Com 1 and Com 2 for you as well. I highly recommend you rethink about spending 250$ for the Dynon GPS antenna, I can't imagine having a high quality HDX 10" display and no moving map, synthetic vision, traffic (TIS), etc... for such a small investment and such an improvement in situational awareness, in my book, the later is priceless and I would go even further, the ASB out/in has proved so helpful in high traffic areas....staying alert OUTSIDE the cockpit is still so very important, but if you try it too, I doubt you will regret the $$$ to get traffic and map into your cockpit. Just a thought and kindly suggestion.

Back