What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone know what in heck us going on here?

Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
This ad keeps popping up on a popular site. Empty weight #888? How?

Jerry

RV 6 2012 ? $XXXXXXX? FOR SALE ? NO MEDICAL REQUIRED! ? Best Bang for the Buck in a Light-Sport Quailified Lycoming Powered Aircraft ? 225 HR TT ? 888# DRY WEIGHT ? 1320# GROSS WEIGHT ? 432# USEFUL LOAD ? Electric Trim & Flaps ? Slider with Tip-Up Canopy Mod ? Sidesteps ? Balanced Experimental Lycoming O-320 ? Sterba Prop ? Dynon 10" Skyview with Synthetic Vision ? Dynon GPS ? Garmin 696 with XM ? FL760 COM ? PM1000 Intercom ? Dynon Transponder with Traffic ? Dynon Auto Pilot with Roll & Pitch ? Electric Trim & Flaps ? Leather Seats

This ad keeps popping up on a popular site. Empty weight #888? How?

Jerry

The original prototype was 960 lbs, IIRC, and it was pretty basic. No gyros, wood prop, no carpet, thin paint, etc.

With no electrical system, no paint, no wheel fairings, and no oil in it (the published weight is "dry"), it might be possible to get one down to 888 lbs. The next question is what DAR would sign it off as an LSA?

As far as the DAR, if it's built EAB, the DAR doesn't sign it off as light sport. He signs it off as EAB. As long as the gross weight is 1,320 or less, a sport pilot can fly it. Of course, it has to meet other criteria like max cruise speed, stall speed, etc. that would be the hardest to meet in an RV-6 probably. I don't know that you can get the stall speed down to, but the sport pilot legal stall speed is quite low.

C ruise Speed

Dealing with the cruise speed is simple: placard on the panel limiting power to xxxx, whatever it takes to meet requirements for Light Sport parameters. For stall speed, only the test pilot knows for sure. The DAR or FAA Inspector are not required to get involved in questioning stall speed. The new ops specs require the owner or his/her representative to enter the stall speed in the ops specs at the completion of Phase I testing.
The 0 360 powered Cub clone is an example of how the cruise speed is handled. Full power limited to XX minutes for takeoff, then 90 hp or whatever is appropriate.

With everything listed on this aircraft I would highly question any scales that showed 888 lbs.

Only the engine manufacturer can "limit" power. And that would be a LOT of limiting to keep the maximum speed of an RV-6 below 120 kts.

A "clean" stall speed of <45 kts is highly unlikely in an RV-6.

With everything listed on this aircraft I would highly question any scales that showed 888 lbs.

Only the engine manufacturer can "limit" power. And that would be a LOT of limiting to keep the maximum speed of an RV-6 below 120 kts.

A "clean" stall speed of <45 kts is highly unlikely in an RV-6.

Not quite, apparently the plane manufacturer can do it, just like the Carbon Cub.

From their web site -

To qualify as Light Sport, this aircraft is limited to:
903 lb empty weight and 1320 lb gross weight on wheels.
Maximum continuous speed of 138 miles per hour.
Maximum takeoff power limited to five minutes.
Maximum continuous power limited to 80 HP after five minutes.

*180 Horsepower for takeoff and climb up to 5 minutes - 80 Horsepower for continuous operation.
It is the pilots responsibility to operate the aircraft in accordance with the pilot operating handbook and aircraft placarding.
There is NO governor or limiting system that controls the engines power settings.

On display at Sebring LSA show a couple of times?

Someone brought a -6A/-7A/-9A (not sure which) that he was building and selling as an LSA --- small engine/wood prop/limited fuel capacity, etc. etc. -- I did not look at it too closely but appearance-wise, looked good.

Ron

My -9 will qualify as an LSA, indeed it will be registered as a Recreational aircraft in Australia initially which is the evolution of the old "ultralight" scheme. 950lbs empty weight with an OX-340, fairings and cushions.

Why not call the guy selling it and ask him about it? Then you'll know what he's claiming. You won't know whether it would pas the FAA sniff test, that's a different question, but you'd at least know why he thinks it qualifies as LSA.

My understanding is that the Carbon Cub's engine is proprietary to the airframe company; they are the engine manufacturer.

Dave

The Carbon Cub SS engine is the Titan 340CC manufactured by ECI. The same basic engine seems to be used on the Legend Aircraft Super Legend HP. I believe the engine limitations are from ECI but would welcome corrections.

Last edited:

I question whether 432 lbs is really a "useful" useful load. With 2 standard people at 170 lbs each and no baggage you get 15 gal of gas before going over gross. Really you are a two seat airplane for flying rides around the pattern and only a 1 seat cross country airplane.

I question whether 432 lbs is really a "useful" useful load. With 2 standard people at 170 lbs each and no baggage you get 15 gal of gas before going over gross. Really you are a two seat airplane for flying rides around the pattern and only a 1 seat cross country airplane.

Not too many people fit that criteria anymore. Myself included! :D

'Useful load', while perhaps seeming not very useful, is basically the difference between empty (no fuel) weight and gross weight. Really no different from '4 seat' certified planes that can only carry 2 with full fuel and a bit of baggage.

There was a time when many in the FAA would say that any engine on an experimental a/c is an experimental engine. Who defines operating parameters on an experimental engine?

Like the carbon cub, the weight limit is one of the elements that defines it as LSA, not the construction. I'm sure this is the same RV that some builders placard gross weight at 1700 or more. The aircraft will certainly handle the loads. The question in my mind is whether the insurance carrier will cover an accident if the plane was knowingly flown well over certified gross.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

'Useful load', while perhaps seeming not very useful, is basically the difference between empty (no fuel) weight and gross weight. Really no different from '4 seat' certified planes that can only carry 2 with full fuel and a bit of baggage.
And that is the fundamental point. If the aircraft meets the rules, that is all that matters. In my case, I'll be the first to admit that a -9A that is legally limited to 1320Lbs MTOW isn't as useful as a "normal" RV-9A, but it suits my mission perfectly and that is why people do it. Not because they are out to impress old mate in the next hangar, but because they built their plane to suit their mission, not someone else's.

And that is the fundamental point. If the aircraft meets the rules, that is all that matters. In my case, I'll be the first to admit that a -9A that is legally limited to 1320Lbs MTOW isn't as useful as a "normal" RV-9A, but it suits my mission perfectly and that is why people do it. Not because they are out to impress old mate in the next hangar, but because they built their plane to suit their mission, not someone else's.
Plus, it wouldn't really even be an issue for the next owner if you were to sell it. If you're imposed "paper-only" restrictions, the next owner can always raise the gross weight and speeds (with perfectly reasonable justification) and take it out of LSA territory... but you can never go back the other way.

Plus, it wouldn't really even be an issue for the next owner if you were to sell it. If you're imposed "paper-only" restrictions, the next owner can always raise the gross weight and speeds (with perfectly reasonable justification) and take it out of LSA territory... but you can never go back the other way.

Exactly right!

Back