What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop is another month out

Chipper G

Well Known Member
Prop is another month out and I am ready to fit the cowl. Any advice on getting started or should I wait for the prop and backplate?

I’m at the same step but am away from the build for a while. Read this.

Warm regards,

Attachments

• Simulating Propeller for Fitting the Cowl - Van's Aircraft Total Performance RV .pdf
    130.3 KB · Views: 163
Fitting the cowl

No prop on mine. I'm actually writing an article on that very subject. Sorry, it won't publish any time soon but if you shoot me an e-mail, I can send you a draft.
It would be good to have an unbiased builder try the method.
Installing it is no problem. Getting it perfectly aligned to the crankshaft and spaced is the issue.
E-mail is below.

E mail sent. The prop is the whirlwind 3 blade CS using their spinner and backplate. I am not sure if the measurements are the same for the backplate I have now which came with the kit.

E mail sent. The prop is the whirlwind 3 blade CS using their spinner and backplate. I am not sure if the measurements are the same for the backplate I have now which came with the kit.

I'm awaiting my WW prop as well. The outline drawings are available on their website.

I'm using this tool.

https://flyboyaccessories.com/product/cowling-installation-tool-improved-design

Expense? Relatively yes but I believe it saves that much in time. It is a well made product that can be used over and over. Rent it out when done, resell it, or go in with someone else.

An option to consider.

Back