What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A good idea from the FIRC (Flight Instructor Refresher Clinic)

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
CFIs have to renew their certificates every two years, and a common way is with 16 hours (or more, if you look up things) on line. Rarely are there good things said about online FIRCs -- it's more like if the FIRC was a homebuilt, a DAR would not sign off on it. And the more attention you pay to the details...

But here's a good idea from this year's FIRC. If there is a flight coming up, and there are lots of indications that the flight will probably not be a good idea, cancel it in advance, not at the last minute. Get rid of the pressure to try too hard.

That's what we just did tonight. I had a COVID booster yesterday afternoon, and thou shalt not fly for 48 hours after any kind of COVID shot. Our desired schedule would have nipped that 48 hours slightly, and I've had a three degree fever all day. And I'm 73 years old, with uncooperative orthopedics.

Could we fly tomorrow if I fudge the 48 hours? Yes. Am I likely to be sharp and on top of my game after three hours of flying tomorrow? Possibly but probably not.

So we're going Friday or Saturday, with less pressure to fly and probably feeling better.

Back