What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fundraiser

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
The sister of one of the. pilots at our airport has cancer and we are doing a fundraiser for her. Can I auction off a flight in my RV7? If so, any gotchas?

My son is Commercial/CFI rated and has a LODA for the airplane if that matters.

Thanks all.

As long as you aren't being compensated ... I can't imagine anyone giving you grief over helping her.

RV-7 flight auction

Hate to spoil the parade but I don’t think you can legally do that with an experimental. That would be considered “compensation” or “for hire” which doesn’t fall into the legal use of an experimental. I could be mistaken and overuled by someone smarter than me (which there are a lot of) but I don’t think that’s legal.

Even though you aren’t getting paid, someone is getting paid for the use of an experimental.

Maybe there’s some kind of exception for donation or charity. I hope I am totally wrong and you can find a way cause that’s a good cause.

Last edited:
You can possibly do it in an RV, but there are all kinds of hoops to be jumped through, even if it was certified. Sorry, I don’t have a reference. Are you an AOPA member?

Ed

I once donated a flight in my Bonanza for a charity auction.

After thinking about it, I didn't like the possibility of a 300+ pound person grabbing the door as a hand hold while getting in, bending it, making the airplane unairworthy.
Or a passenger getting airsick and making a stinky mess inside the airplane.
Or several other possible negative outcomes.

I attended the auction, and bid on my own flight. The charity still got the donation, and no worries about a non-aviator not knowing how to act around airplanes.

I've decided that if I'm asked again to donate a flight, I will pay my local FBO their going rate for a charter sightseeing flight.

They have instructor pilots used to dealing with passengers unfamiliar with airplanes..

Sorry to say but you can’t give a ride in an experimental. And get a monetary enumeration of any kind.
That said you can give ride’s to anyone you like. Key word give. ) ; donate is a no no. Wish it wasn’t that way but the FAA gets it there way. Perhaps you can get a LETTER of deviation for it just that one time. Just be ready to have to jump through a lot of hoops.

RD

Back