What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear shims rv3

Lots

There is a search function you can use on this page.
Or you can give us more information and we will be glad to help.
Even a picture of what you have now would be helpful.
We are all here to help each other.

RV3 Shimmy

I take it that you are operating of a hard surface so here is what I find.

1. Tyre pressure
2. Worn bolt hole at the top of the gear leg, if any play replace with a close tolerance bolt.
3. Do not use your brakes at a high speed.

I find if I have the tyre pressure to high I get shimmy. I normally land 3 pointer and some times if I land too fast I have a problem.

I normally operate of grass but if visiting a hard runway I try to land at the lowest speed possible and try not to use the brakes.

Rob
RV3 G-BVDC

I agree with Rob's comments above but will add one more possibility.
Out of round tires. If you have old or worn tires, or if the plane sits for long periods in one spot the tires can get out of round. I have had that problem and new tires fixed it. Reduced air pressure can help but can also aggravate getting a flat spot if the plane sits a lot.

I have in the past here on VAF described an aluminum strip that runs the length of the gear leg, held on with around 7 Adel clamps. The strips seem to run 1/8 x 1.5 straight-sided to 3/8 x 2, tapered at the aft end. The purpose is to decouple the fore-aft moment of inertia from the lateral moment of inertia. It's not my idea, I saw it on VAF. It seems to work and is what I'll use on mine. I'll use the 1/8 x 1.5 size since I think I have some on hand.

Dave

Back