What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sticky Label on Top of Primer Coat

skyfrog

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to prime my first parts (HS spars/ribs) of my RV9A. I plan on using a self-etching Zinc Chromate as the primer.

I assume this is going to cover up my sharpie notes on which rib is which, etc. So I will need to re-label them after the prime coat. Rather than rescribble my notes, I was wondering if I could use my handy labeler from Home Depot I bought to label small bins holding rivets, drill bits, etc.

My concern was the glue might be corrosive over time, or the label might retain moisture and cause corrosion. The again, it will be on top of the primer and not bare metal. Am I worrying about nothing?

(Just trying to make it look nice inside and out, you never know where the judges will be looking).

John Edwards
RV-9A - Slider - N5JE (reserved)

Last edited:
John, my experience shows that the sharpie marks will bleed right through the primer. No problem reading them at all. The approach I have taken is after wiping each part down with laquer thiner prior to priming I remark them with a sharpie in a location that will not be seen once riveted. After priming the marks show up great and once riveted in place the markings are not visible.

I was told to make sure not to use a sharpie anywhere that I was eventually going to paint as it would bleed through the paint also.

Just thought I would offer my $.02 worth.

Thanks

Thanks John,

I wasn't sure if the sharpie marks came thru for most primers. I did read about blue sharpie with SW primer however.

I'll give it a try...

John Edwards
RV9A - Empennage
N5JE (reserved)

Back