What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to the airforce

Russ

I'm New Here
I am going to start a RV9a soon and am looking at either the week long empennage class or basic metal working two day class. any thoughts? i am good with wood and think i can transition easy.

Welcome Russ

Woodworking skills, while different, translate well. Find some local help and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck - I've been flying my -9A for about 6 months and it is a hoot.

Welcome.

I don't want to discourage a class. I'm sure my emp would have come out even better if I had built it under the supervision of someone who knows what they are doing. Looking back I can see some mistakes and extra work that easily could have been avoided.

However, if you are unable to find a class, you can still do a good job building your airplane. You will be OK if you read some books on aircraft construction/maintenance, read all of the stuff that comes with the preview plans, find and talk to other local builders and build some of the van's practice kits. Oh, yeah, and you've already found this site - there's lot's of good info here and also on many individual builder's sites.

Sorry I can't recommend a class.

EAA Sport Air Workshop

I went thru the 2+ day Sport Air workshop taught by Tom Emery before I started my project. It was excellent.

Builder Classes

G'day Russ, don't know if Oregon is too far away from you but I would highly reccomend Wally Anderson at Synergy here in Eugene. I am probably a little biased as I am building my 7 in the same hanger but it's a great way get up to speed & learn the skills required, you could even combine it with a trip to Vans.

www.synergyair.com

Steve Emmett said:
I took the week long course in Griffin, Ga. and thought it was excellent and well worth the money.

If I were you I would take this class and you could have your emp. done in a week. There are bunch of RV builders in the Savannah/Ridgeland,SC area. I know that one 9 is being built in Ridgeland. Let me know if you want to come down this way sometime and take a look.

Welcome to VAF! I would make sure and look up the local EAA chapter. I know the people in our chapter have been great to help with questions. Also get lined up with an EAA tech advisor right away they are a great help in giving guidance.

Good luck!

thanks for all the help

great support from everyone. thanks, one day and already some great help.

Russ,

Welcome to the gang.

Bummer you didn't post this sooner. Last weekend we had a builder's class up here in Charlotte, NC where we spent the day making a bunch of the Van's toolboxes and eating pizza.

gbrasch said:
I went thru the 2+ day Sport Air workshop taught by Tom Emery before I started my project. It was excellent.
I'm also new. Starting a 9a in Glendale, AZ. Do you know of any class opportunities in AZ?
skeist
Emp.

N941WR said:
Russ,

Welcome to the gang.

Bummer you didn't post this sooner. Last weekend we had a builder's class up here in Charlotte, NC where we spent the day making a bunch of the Van's toolboxes and eating pizza.

If you run another class i would be interested. thanks

I started my 9A last fall.

I bought the video from Van's (George Orndorf) and it helped alot.

I'm now working on wings and doing OK (I think).

I can't "do" wood. No matter how many times I cut a board, its still too short :D

I've done some mechanical & metal work though but aluminum sheet metal construction is different from most things I've done before.

The video got me off to a good start.

Dave

Daver said:
I started my 9A last fall.

I bought the video from Van's (George Orndorf) and it helped alot.

I'm now working on wings and doing OK (I think).

I can't "do" wood. No matter how many times I cut a board, its still too short :D

I've done some mechanical & metal work though but aluminum sheet metal construction is different from most things I've done before.

The video got me off to a good start.

Dave

So you never received instruction? i thought about the video and tool box kit but was not sure that would be enough.

No, I never got formal instructions but Van's build manual is pretty good in explaining stuff like deburring, rivets, etc.

With the empenage video and the build manual, I felt pretty good about "diving in"

I think my build quality is pretty good. I did get a few "smileys" when the rivet gun got away from me but I think that happens to alot of new builders (and maybe even some veterans).

Remember these tools/techniques were developed many years ago. During WWII they'd take a farm girl into the bomber factory and give her a few hours of instructions and she was off & running (ala "Rosey Riveter").

I think the important thing is to study the manual, the drawings and the parts carefully. Do ALL of the deburring that the manual emphasizes and call Vans if you get stuck (or look around on this forum).

Above all, GET STARTED!

You only have about 18,000 rivets to go :eek:

Dave

I started building last Labor Day. No experience. I'm building with my brother and father. We read a lot before we started and studied the plans. We downloaded some "How to" documents from the EAA website. Then we jumped in and learned as we went. We've had an EAA Tech Counselor come by and critique our project. He had a few suggestions, but generally we were doing okay.

We have had a few blunders and had to rebuild a trim tab twice and an aileron once. We believe our standards are high, but no unreasonably so.

We've finished the empennage and wings and are on to the fuselage.

I agree with the others who say jump in and start building.

I had planned to take the class in Georgia at Alexander. After talking it over with another builder, I realized that the "costs" to go to the Empannage class (class, food, lodging, transportation, etc.) was going to be more than buying an entire second tail kit. I had no skills at all but I had help from the other local builders.

I may yet buy that other tail kit and re-do - got some uglies.

However, I don't think that either class is a bad idea at all.

Last edited:
Russ said:
If you run another class i would be interested. thanks
Russ,

Sorry, but once each spring is about all the chapter can do. We run each class as a breakeven or at a loss, which isn't a big deal for us. What is a big deal is pulling other builders away from their projects to help out.

Robert M has a good idea. Just remember to start with the air pressure turned down on your rivet gun.

Also, if there is another RV builder closs by, ask him if you could bring some hardware store aluminum over so he (she?) can show you how to cut and rivet the stuff together. I did that sort of thing with a number of local builders and they jumped right in. In fact one of them just flew his -7A for the first time last week. Good for him but that gives you an idea how slow I'm building.

Thanks for the information. I have family in Concord, one day I would like to swing by and take a look. For now I have decided to buy the practice kit from Vans and start with that. no classes, for good or bad.

Do you have a recomendation on the tool kit? Who has the best for the money? The best to deal with?

All that I've read about the tool kits leads me to believe that there is a difference in quality from one to the other and the price reflects that quality.

I bought the Aircraft Tool Supply kit when it was on sale. I have had no quality issues from any of the tools I received.

I did buy the Tatco and a pneumatic squeeze separately..

Back