What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder - Tool Time

Getting ready to order tools for a Vans RV 7A QB I hope to complete. Tail kit is sitting on a table in the garage. Looking for recommendations on tools. My friend recommends Cleveland and my research on the net indicated that their complete kit is a few bills cheaper than Avery. Thanks for the help. Realize this topic has probably been beaten to death in previous posts.

Chris

There are several great companies to work with but it is hard to go wrong with CleavelandTool.com I have bought several things there and they are great to deal with. I order one day and get the stuff the next day. Of course I'm only about 100 miles away from them. ;)

One thing I have found, as is true with many things, buy good tools and you won't regret it. Good luck with the tool shopping!

I have been happy with my Avery kit, but added several Cleaveland items which are nicer, in particular, their vice grip edge roller and tank dimple dies.

You can not go wrong with cleveland---their squeezer is the best one I've used-lite, more space between ram and head, and smooooth. Other tools high quality. 2$ worth :D

GET A TOOL KIT

I started by getting an "RV Builders" kit from ATS. It had enough of everything to get started, but I was disappointed in the quality. The hand squeezer and the back rivet supplied both broke with FIRST use! Perhaps it was just a coincidence. At any rate, I've found Avery's tools to be the highest qulatiy. I have a few tools purchased from Cleveland (mostly dies) which seem to be top notch.

For what it's worth - Avery is the way to go. If there's a genuine problem with the tool he will stand behind his product and make things right. That level of "warranty" is worth a few dimes more in the purchase price to me.

There are several great companies, I being in Texas chose Avery Tools. I purchased the kit and they made custom changes, price matched and Bob has personally answered my questions on tools and RV construction.

I dropped my pneumatic squeezer (awesome tool) on the garage floor bending it where it would no longer work. After attempting to repair it and making it worse I called Bob and he said to bring it over. I watched Bob personally take the squeezer apart and make the repair like a skilled doctor. The part repaired cost me $10 and I was back in business. Great tools and great people down in Texas. Thanks again Bob Avery.

I bought a kit from Avery and have been very happy with the quality and service. I have also bought a few extra items (i.e. tank dimple dies) from Cleaveland and they were great, too.

It is hard to compare kits strictly on price. One may have an extra yoke or something else that may or may not prove necessary. So, you really have to look at the kit contents as well. Of course, if you ask 10 builders what is "necessary" you will get 14 different answers. The good news is that if you need something, both Avery and Cleaveland (and maybe some others as well) ship it out pretty quickly.

It is also difficult to tell when to buy name brand and when not to. I agree whole heartedly with the post that said you won't regret buying good tools. I have been suckered into buying some power tools from Harbor Freight and have mostly been dissapointed. I really like the Sioux drill that came with the Avery kit. I did not upgrade the 2X rivet gun to Sioux. However, the one that came with the kit has performed very well.

On service... I dropped my drill and the countersink cutter and cage were in it at the time. The drill is fine. However, the countersink cage is now more appropriate for countersinking around a corner. :) I mentioned this to Bob Avery at SNF last year and he told me to send it back to him and he would straighten it out. I had purchased it from him 3-4 years ago and it certainly wasn't anyone's fault but mine that it was damaged. I didn't take him up on the offer, but it was very nice of him to offer. Guess where I bought my replacement countersink cage...

Tools

Avery and Cleveland are both great. There is also Brown Tool and The Yard. Cleveland is really fast on shipping. I get things from them the quickest. Never had a problem with any of them that I mentioned.

"Complete Kits"

Chris flys said:
My friend recommends Cleveland and my research on the net indicated that their complete kit is a few bills cheaper than Avery.

Chris:

There's no such thing as a "complete kit"! :)
They're are a great place to start, but don't think for a minute that you won't find a new tool every week or so that you just can't live without!
Find the "kit" with a fair price from (more importantly) a dealer with a good reputation, and then keep an open mind, and wallet.

Most importantly, have fun!

craigvince said:
There's no such thing as a "complete kit"! :) They're are a great place to start, but don't think for a minute that you won't find a new tool every week or so that you just can't live without!
I'll agree with Craig. I budgeted ~2000 for tools and have used ~3000 so far and not yet finished tail -- I just want to have right tool for right place and do not want to use hours and hours for a job which can be done in a minutes with right tools. I still do have some tools I'll have to get (eg. torque wrench) but I think I should have most tools needed to complete the rest of the plane.

I quess you can't go totally wrong when selecting any of these higher quality kits from the sellers mentioned above posts. I've got my tools from Avery mostly but something from Cleaveland as well (something that Avery didn't carry) -- both did great job and no problems with the tools so far. Now when I've used a while these higher quality tools (expensive tools) I understand the difference of cheaper tools. I think these are worth it -- no need to cry why drill is wobbling etc.

I suqqest you read http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=53 for the additional tools you might be interested and also more comments about tools kits -- they haven't changed much during the existence of this forum. Just select from bottom (Display options -> From the ==> Beginning -> Show threads) to show older threads as well.

The thing about Avery, is they have the amazing service. When I ordered my tool kit i had a problem with one of the tools. Sent them one email, and they responded within an hour, apologized (not needed), told me to box up the tool, fedex would pick it up (on their dime), and a new one was already in the mail.

They also keep all of your info on record- even the smallest details. So when I order, my packages have (leave at door) plastered on them, so when I get home from work my stuff waiting at the door.

That's worth a few extra bills from me. Not to mention their tools are top notch.

I haven't dealt with the other tool companies out there, and I probably won't either. Avery won my business.

Ryan

Last edited:
Both are good

Cleaveland and Avery are both great companies to deal with. I started off with a "modified" Cleaveland empennage tool kit. Then I added tools from Avery, ATS, Brown, U.S. Industrial, and the Yard to name a few.

Cleaveland and Avery have by far the best RV specific tools. They both are great to companies to work with. Each of them have some proprietary tools that really come in handy. Cleavland Main squeeze rivet squeezer and their edge roling tool are great. Avery's edge roller is not so good and more liekly to screw up a panel. Avery's edge marker and adjustable set holder for the pneumatic squeezer are a must have.

I'd start off with one of the master Kits for either Avery or Cleaveland,a nd then go from there.

US Industrial Tool

I know we're not supposed to flame any suppliers on this forum, but since there has been so much discussion in this thread about customer service, I'll add this:
I've purchased from US Industrial Tool. It's ok IF you're not in a hurry, don't mind being charged the wrong price, don't mind waiting a month or two for a price credit, and don't mind backorders (3 months for something on sale in my case). It took me 3 orders from them before I learned that a great price is sometimes not such a great price.

Just my experience, actual results may vary.

I have used and still use...

Avery, Brown, and Cleaveland

Avery probably has the best kit if you want to buy everything in one shot.

I don't think you'll find a better price on Sioux Drills and Pnuematic squeezers than Brown has.

I like Cleavelands forming and fluting tools better than the others.

They are all great companies to do business with some leg work on your part you can put together a really nice kit of your own. They all seem to have good sales to keep an eye out for.

Back