What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another New 7A Builder !

Dave Fogarty

Well I've finally done it - just like the rest of the tribe here already !

RV-7A tail kit is on the way to the Alexander Technical Center in Griffin, GA. The assembly class starts 6.Aug & I'll be there - pray for me. '000's of $ of tools already on hand, been reading and studying for a year now. I'm ready to get - er done.

QB -7A Kit on order too, wings, fuse, & finish kit - all for Sept '07 delivery, 7A Slider, IO-360 & IFR panel planned. All just in time for my 50th birthday on 6.August. Told the wife this is a better mid life crisis than a bimbo and at least you know where you can find me - right in the shop where I belong :D

Wish me luck - I'm going to need it for sure.

good luck

i wish i would have put it off untill i was 50. ;)
steady as she goes think twice drill once. its not a race.

Dave,

Welcome to the club.
Now go to OSH and party with the rest of us !!!!!!!!

RE:GREAT

Dave

It is GREAT to have you in our wonderful family. ENJOY :D

Frank @ SGU RV7A my WW 200RV @ OSH without me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrates

Have a great time building, I know most of us do! It's theropy! :confused:

Just think dave just four more years till you're flyin'! ;)

Thanks for the kind words from all.

I am busy as all get out preparing for this project. Tools, and yet more tools. I'm down to the last few items. Three open questions as of now:

1) I keep reading about "Scotch-brite" wheels. Can someone tell me what diameter and grit you recommend using ?

I need a recommendation on a grinder / buffer and a belt sander;

2) How much power, 1/3hp, 1/2, etc and what diameter for the grinder 6" or 8" ?
&
3) What size belt sander; 1" wide, 1.5", 2", 4" etc and how long 24", 48"

I'm not sure that I want this project to take four years (so I bought the QB), but hey the journey should be as much fun as the destination. I built scale R/C models for many years and you had to like the building part as much as flying or you might not make it to the end. My last scale model took 1,200 hrs. :eek:

Dave,

You will need several tools! ;)

1. On thje Scotchbrite wheels I would recommend two, they are 6 inch. The 3M cut and polish wheel and the 3M light deburring wheel
I use them both and the first takes material off quickly while the polishing whell lets you really smooth things up.
2. For the grinder it would be nice to get one eith the long necks, mine isn't and I wish it was as the motor somtimes gets in the way.
3. I just have a beltsander that has the 4 inch belt and a 6 or 8 inch wheel. I really donl't use it much for the plane, but when you need it is very handy.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in with different opinions. Seems everyone has a slightly different approach but we all end up getting the job done if you stay with it.

Have fun!

Tooling Up RV-7A

Thanks John - see below
JohnR said:
Dave,

You will need several tools! ;)

1. On thje Scotchbrite wheels I would recommend two, they are 6 inch. The 3M cut and polish wheel and the 3M light deburring wheel
undefined Thanks John - Cleaveland does not have the wheels in stock, but I see that the first one is a 3M Cut & Polish 7 density, alum oxide, medium grit 6" dia x 1" wide wheel which I have ordered from MSC (01175686), the other link didn't work, but I suspect it is a Scotch Bright light deburring wheel, 7 density, silicone carbide, fine grit, 6" dia x 1" wide wheel. (MSC 01261668) Hope I guessed right !
undefined
I use them both and the first takes material off quickly while the polishing whell lets you really smooth things up.
2. For the grinder it would be nice to get one eith the long necks, mine isn't and I wish it was as the motor somtimes gets in the way.
undefined
Just ordered a long neck, 6" 1/3 hp Baldor unit from Cleavland.
undefined
3. I just have a beltsander that has the 4 inch belt and a 6 or 8 inch wheel. I really donl't use it much for the plane, but when you need it is very handy.
undefined
I have a 6" wide x 24" long belt with a 9" disc that I use for wood working but maybe this isn't good. undefined

Hope this helps.
undefined
Thanks John it does help and thanks again to all the rest. I think this is going to be an interesting project for sure. :D
undefined
I'm sure others will chime in with different opinions. Seems everyone has a slightly different approach but we all end up getting the job done if you stay with it.

Have fun!

7a qb

congrats, i am also waiting for my September 7a quickbuild but with a tip up. stay in contact lets see who wins the longest built :D
jeffrey
rv7a tails feathers done
n187kw reserved

Welcome Dave. Alexander's does great work - not very far from where I live. The gent I bought my tools from built his tail kit at Alexander's - it was put together very well.

New Builder Welcome

I went to Alexander's a few years ago. Tell Mike and Jacob hello from Steve Anderson. I loved working with very talented people who know what they are talking about. Very good to get a background from experts. They have all the tools and a process that you follow to get work done safely and efficiently.

Money well spent. And the tail comes out perfect.

Hi Dave -

The one and only. I am a CFI-AI as well so I'm crossing over from R/C Scale to "Full Scale" and back all the time. I've been flying full scale since I was 13 years old, so at age 50 I figure its time to just bite the bullet and build the fullscale model too !

All the best - Dave :)

Back