What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten Grips - which sticks?

What sticks did you use with your Tosten CS series grips?

• Total voters

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
For those who went with the Tosten CS series grips, did you also go with the tosten sticks? (Or just use the Van’s sticks supplied with the kit). I believe the tosten sticks have been bent a little more to help the CS grips clear the panel.

Call Kevin. He sent me two offset bushings that canted the stick back (3*?) to keep from hitting the panel. I didn’t learn about the alternative stick until mine were installed.

Also I couldn’t get the CS grips to clear the panel even with the bushings so i ended up with their military grips.

I went with Tosten military grips purchased through Midwest Panel Builders who will laser etch them and RV-14 sticks from Tosten. Kevin at Tosten assembled the grips and the stick and sent on to Midwest to etch.
IMG_5213.jpg

Call Kevin. He sent me two offset bushings that canted the stick back (3*?) to keep from hitting the panel. I didn’t learn about the alternative stick until mine were installed.

Also I couldn’t get the CS grips to clear the panel even with the bushings so i ended up with their military grips.

Ryan,
Did you cut the original stick for installing the grip? I have installed two sets of them and neither hit the panel but I did cut (I believe 2.5") in order to bring it to the original length as the grip adds length unlike some other grips.

I went with Tosten military grips purchased through Midwest Panel Builders who will laser etch them and RV-14 sticks from Tosten. Kevin at Tosten assembled the grips and the stick and sent on to Midwest to etch.
View attachment 34052

They are very slick. I really like the feel of the soft touch CS grips though so have purchased them - was just curious about the sticks.

Ryan,
Did you cut the original stick for installing the grip? I have installed two sets of them and neither hit the panel but I did cut (I believe 2.5") in order to bring it to the original length as the grip adds length unlike some other grips.

No I didn’t cut them. I could have bought the sticks with the new geometry but match drilling the holes at the base would have been nearly impossible installed in the plane.

Actually now that I think about it, I sent my sticks to Kevin and he cut top of the sticks and drilled then set screw hole.

Last edited:
I bought the Military grips with sticks for the RV-14 from Vans.
The problem is I have a RV-7. I think these would be on my chest.
Are some new sticks that I can move the grips to?

Thanks

Max

I bought the Military grips with sticks for the RV-14 from Vans.
The problem is I have a RV-7. I think these would be on my chest.
Are some new sticks that I can move the grips to?

Thanks

Max

An RV-7 Stick. The RV-14 Stick with Tosten military grips, stick is modified so does not hit panel in RV-14. Other than that the grip is just a grip.

As a data point - I purchased the tosten sticks with my grips, and since I had the stock sticks on the shelf, I did a comparison. I can’t really see any difference!

Attachments

• AE4431E6-BF77-4CBF-B770-511DD9EA4FBB.jpg
    AE4431E6-BF77-4CBF-B770-511DD9EA4FBB.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 147
  • D043481A-4A84-4B68-BDE8-678CEDF44346.jpg
    D043481A-4A84-4B68-BDE8-678CEDF44346.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 5A75BADC-6498-4CAC-9436-FD9347CDB98E.jpg
    5A75BADC-6498-4CAC-9436-FD9347CDB98E.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 186
As a data point - I purchased the tosten sticks with my grips, and since I had the stock sticks on the shelf, I did a comparison. I can’t really see any difference!
Were the Tosten sticks delivered already cut-down, or did you have to cut them to length to accommodate the grips?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Tosten military grips for me. They are fantastic. And the customer service is A++++.

Long story short, SteinAir found that the custom button configuration I had built on my grips was not compatible with the flap motor (too many points of control). The guys at Stein arranged with Tosten to return my grips for a different button configuration. I had them back in a week. Plus, when I've had a couple of questions about installation, Kevin has been super quick to get on the phone and discuss my situation. I cannot recommend them highly enough!

Back