What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standard text for very first airframe log book entry for ELSA RV12?

subpar_bucker

Well Known Member
Googling has yielded lots of good examples of log entries for annual inspections, but I haven't yet found one for what I'm assuming is necessary for my upcoming FAA certification visit. Is there one the collective can point me to?

I'm also planning on making a blanket statement about the set of safety directives, service bulletins and service letters I've accomplished during the build. I did not record that dates for each of these, so I was planning on stating something like:

During the construction of N123 these safety directives were accomplished:
SD-01
SD-02

These service bulletins were accomplished:
SB-01
SB-02

And these service letters were accomplished:
SL-01
SL-02

Am I over thinking things here, or does this seem kosher?

Googling has yielded lots of good examples of log entries for annual inspections, but I haven't yet found one for what I'm assuming is necessary for my upcoming FAA certification visit. Is there one the collective can point me to?

I'm also planning on making a blanket statement about the set of safety directives, service bulletins and service letters I've accomplished during the build. I did not record that dates for each of these, so I was planning on stating something like:

During the construction of N123 these safety directives were accomplished:
SD-01
SD-02

These service bulletins were accomplished:
SB-01
SB-02

And these service letters were accomplished:
SL-01
SL-02

Am I over thinking things here, or does this seem kosher?

What you are planning will be fine Bob, with one addition.

You will be signing the Form 8130-15 certifying that you completed the build of the aircraft in accordance with the RV-12 KAI, but you will also be expected to make an entry in the maint. log in accordance with what is required for the yearly condition inspection as required by the aircraft's operating limitations (once they have been issued).

The standard format for this entry for an E-LSA is - I certify
that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] per the manufacturer’s inspection procedures and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.

Then add your signature and pilot certificate #

The reason this is possible for you to do at this point, is that the aircraft is not yet certified. Once it is, it will have operating limitations attached to it that regulate what level of certification is required to sign off on a condition inspection. So after you receive your Airworthiness Certificate and your RV-12 is officially an airplane, you will have to meet the certification requirements when completing the condition inspection at the first year mark (take the training class and get your LSR-I certificate).

Having said all of that, it is best to get in contact with who ever you will be using for your certification inspection (FAA ASI, DAR, etc) and make sure you are clear on what "their" expectation is, so that there are no surprises on that big day.

Thanks for the detailed and prompt response Scott. I greatly appreciate it.

The big day is Friday, and the local FAA office has been super helpful through the process to date. Looking forward to having a certified aircraft shortly :)

Back