What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airspeed indicator

I have van?s steam gauge air speed and an altimeter just left of my G3Xs. Just as a backup for a power failure

maybe think; about going to/installing a self powered "air powered" AOA "angel of attack" indicator........that way it would be fully Independent of your air speed indicator..........
good day.to all......... /...rick

for more info about AOA; please search for ; Lift Reserve Indicator.../or/..Dwyer gauge.
good day ../rick

2-1/4??

Anyone know of a 2-1/4” altimeter with two hands?
In that size I can only find instruments with one hand

Last edited:
Not airspeed but I do need a better backup steam 2 1/4 altimeter. Single hand UMA is OK but not good enough. I read they are working up a precision 2 1/4 but don't know their status.

My first two panels had back up airspeed and altimeters fron Van's. By the time I got to panel #3, I removed them and never looked back.

If you really want a backup, get a Dynon PocketPanel. Its battery will last around four hours and it doesn't tie into your pitot or static lines. Granted it gives you ground speed and not airspeed but that is better than nothing should your pitot or static lines get plugged.

My first two panels had back up airspeed and altimeters fron Van's. By the time I got to panel #3, I removed them and never looked back.

If you really want a backup, get a Dynon PocketPanel. Its battery will last around four hours and it doesn't tie into your pitot or static lines. Granted it gives you ground speed and not airspeed but that is better than nothing should your pitot or static lines get plugged.

I have a D2 pocket panel. I like it.

I was thinking G5 as a backup

Even though I'm still very early in my build, my thoughts at this stage were to go with a Garmin G5 as a backup instrument. Sounds similar to the dynon mentioned above.

Still have them? Want to sell them?

Back