What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wax after polishing

ka6dan

Well Known Member
I polished my new 9A using Calif. Custom polish. It was an attempt to improve appearance until I have it painted. I call it my 20' polish. It looks good from 20 ft. I have to say Calif. Custom is fairly easy to use and does a good job but not to the standard some of the polished aircraft at X35. So my polishing efforts were completed 5 or 6 week ago and areas that have seen some water (from washing the wind shield/ canopy or where the standard florida bug has hit) a gray film has developed. I was wondering if an application of plain old auto wax would help prevent this (what I think is oxidation)? Has anyone done this or does anyone know of a problem in trying wax. i.e. damage to the skin?

Wax over Polish - No

Not a good idea. Most auto waxes have substances in them that will prevent paint from sticking and would be very difficult to remove from around flush rivets and seams in the skin. Would greatly complicate prep for painting.

My 9a is polished and is almost 4 years old. I did it with multiple grades of Nuvite so it is pretty good. I have not re-polished in four years although I will be this spring. The film can be removed with a dry rag. I also use Nuvite bug remover/cleaner to eliminate the film if really bad and to clean the leading edges after flight.

Back