What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yellow RPM Zone

dahugo

I have an IO320-D1A and Hartzell prop combo i bought from Van's and installed in my 9A. PFD is Dynon 180. After install i had to tell the Dynon engine monitors we had a 4 cylinder lycoming. In any case, the 180 has a yellow band on the rpm gauge from 2200 to 2250 rpm.

Why?

I recall reading someplace it had to do with an rpm range to avoid with a certain engine/prop combo but i dont recall it being the IO320/Hartzell.

You will need to consult your engine and propeller documentation to determine "unsafe" zones for sustained RPM. Dynon ships their units in a certain configuration, somewhat generic. It is up to you to establish the appropriate configuration.

My RPM color coding was documented in my WW200RV manual.

Don

Check the prop TCDS

Check the propeller Type Certificate Data Sheet. In this case is is TCDS P-920. Just Google "FAA TCDS P-920" and you should be able to find it. Or go to the FAA "RGL" Regulatory and Guidance Library. Look in the back under "Note 9," look for your engine and prop combination and if there are any placards, they should be listed there. If you still have questions don't hesitate to call us and ask.

Les Doud
Hartzell Propeller

Back