What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AD - Hartzell HC-C2YK/F7666 (info)

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
I called Hartzell today (Les please chime in if I am wrong) and had a chat with them. Well first I was bummed but it's not as bad as I thought.

AD 2006-18-15 was just released as you know for prop hubs that have no letter or suffix after the serial number. The AD calls for an eddy current service bulletin (2005) to check of the hub every 100 hours. The GOOD NEWS, if you can call it that is it can be done on the plane and cost, as I was told, about $100. So that is about every year you need to do this, per the AD. Since you need to remove the spinner to lube the prop it is not too bad.

The history on the HC-C2YK is it has been around for a while. Also it has been used on every things from 180 HP Mooney's to +300HP agricultural planes. The basic hub has gone thru several changes over the years.

For detailed info see SB 61-277 below.

If you have a HC-C2YK-1BF or "B" hub you are home free.

If you have the "A" hub you are not out of the woods and the AD calls for eventual replacement depending on application.

The older basic hub was made thru '91, with one change significant change post '83. So if you have a hub with no letter suffix, A or B, it was made before Dec 1991. "A" hubs where made from Dec '91 to April '97. The "B" after April '97. So not all HC-C2YK's are the same and many changes have been made. The service bulletin for help in identification the hub type you have.

The newest hub, the "B" hub is really like a new model and has the number HC-C2YK-1BF verses a straight HC-C2YK. The AD does not affect the "B" model. (Is that correct Les?) The "A" hub is affected by another AD, for high HP, ag and aerobatics applications.

The side info I got was an Aerospatiale Socata Tobago suffered a hub failure (w/ 360 lyc). Also there have been about a dozen cracks found during inspections or overhaul in the field on 360's. Considering there are a lot of these props around, over 3 decades, it's not wide spread. Clearly service age/time, model and type of operation is key to the likely hood of getting a crack or not.

I guess the silver lining is if you get your Prop overhauled at Hartzell they will trade the hub out for the "B" hub. I was told they want to get the old old props out of service, so they will sell you a half price hub or a new prop for $5400. For us that is not super great with a BA just a little more. I suppose it's more cost effective for RV'ers to sell or scrap their old HC-C2YK prop and buy a new BA prop?

At least with experimental's we can keep flying, but the Arrow and Mooney drivers have no choice. Going to the "B" hub or BA prop makes sense especially since it eliminates all AD's. On the other hand $100 every year or so is not horrible.

There is also hour and calendar limits in the 2001-23-08 AD for mandatory replacement 300HP or applications for "A" and non-suffix hubs. The time limit is 1000 hours/72 months (aerobatic), 2000 hours/72 months max. I do not believe that AD 2006-18-15 has a replacement service life time limit? (Les?)

Ref:

AD2006-18-15 (latest affecting all non-suffix props)

AD2001-23-08 (engine 300hp or more)

HC-SB-61-269 (Eddy current)

SB-61-277 (Detailed INFO on applications, cost and background info)

To recap if you don't have a "B" hub you need to do eddy current inspections every 100 hours (after the initial inspection) or replace the hub with a "B" hub. As long as you do 100 inspections you can keep going indefinitely.

Last edited:
Please, don't shoot!

George et al,

I believe you are correct. The details are in the AD (available on the FAA website) and in our Service Bulletin HC-SB-61-269 (available from our website in the Resource Library, Recent Serivce Docs section). I haven't seen the AD but the SB has little cartoons to show what you're looking for. If you call Product Support, please have your hub S/N available to give to the Tech Rep.

The non-suffix hubs were manufactured before April 1991, so the "youngest" hub affected is 15 years old (has it really been that long?). Yes, the non-suffix hubs have been made for a very long time and the "younger" ones are guilty by association... If your prop is newer than April 1991, check your hub S/N, you are probably not affected.

I can't speak about the cost of compliance but I believe there is a special offer to replace your hub if affected (either at Hartzell or another shop). Call and talk to the Tech Reps about details if you have any questions. If your hub is affected and you get a new hub, your spinner bulkhead will have to be modified to accommodate the new hub (a Service Letter including a template for this modificaiton is also available on the website).

I'm not looking for sympathy here but, I hate it when these things come out! Everybody affected loses, including us. It is a perfect example of the cost associated with making propellers (or any other certified aircraft component for that matter); sometimes serivce problems won't surface until 20+ years down the road and then you must have the infrastructure to handle it. A small number of problems are enough to affect a large number of props in order to reduce the potential of a somebody getting hurt. We're still responsible for, and supporting old hardware that was made over 50 years ago! This AD also demonstrates the importance of using an approved prop, following the operating limitations, and caring for your prop on Lyc ()-360 applications.

You are also correct about the other, previous 2-blade hub AD. The new SB lists those applications that are affected by that AD and thus not affected by this AD. That AD affects the high-HP and aerobatic apps.

Les Doud
[email protected]

Ad Compliance for Experimentals?

George, this AD and your comment above prompted me to think again about AD compliance for our experimental birds. Obviously we have wide latitude to use parts/equipment/components that we want, as opposed to "certificated" components, or those with TSOs, etc. But as I recall my operating limitations, I thought that the rule was that if you DO use an FAA-approved component and they DO issue an AD on it, then you have to comply with the AD, even though you have an experimental airworthiness certificate - because by definition (i.e., by FAA fiat), that component is no longer airworthy.

Anyone have a definitive answer on this? I tend to agree with Les anyway, that when it comes to engines, props, etc. it is best to play it safe.

Fortunately my Hartzell BA has a nice, fresh late model "B" hub, so I dodged this one....

John

No need to shoot. You still have the best prop on the market. I'm sure this is not fun for anyone. (less fun for those affected)

I'm going with the Blended Airfoil on mine!

...If you have a HC-C2YK-1BF or "B" hub you are home free...

The newest hub, the "B" hub is really like a new model and has the number HC-C2YK-1BF verses a straight HC-C2YK. The AD does not affect the "B" model. (Is that correct Les?)...

To recap if you don't have a "B" hub you need to do eddy current inspections every 100 hours (after the initial inspection) or replace the hub with a "B" hub. As long as you do 100 inspections you can keep going indefinitely.

Not to revive an old thread, but for the sake of those who use the search function, the info above is incorrect. The -1BF hub is included in the SB. The "B" hub refers to the serial number, not model number of the hub - important difference. If your hub's serial number ends in "E" or has no letter suffix, the SB applies. If you hub ends in "A" or "B" the SB does not apply. Thanks to Radomir for pointing this out to me.

Here is a current link to the SB: http://www.hartzellprop.com/pdfs/SB269-R03-W.pdf

Back