What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for PIREPS for Paint Scheme Services

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
I plan to have my -4 repainted this coming spring and would like to get some help refining/defining the paint scheme. I'm looking for any experiences and recommendations others are willing to share (good or bad) after using these services.

I called one this afternoon that I found with a Google search, but the phone has been disconnected...

Thanks,

The folks over at Planeschemers (in Gadsden Alabama) appear to do a very good job. A group of us visited them a month or three ago. I was impressed.

We (3 of us) had very good experiences with Scheme Designers on 3 RV-14As. Easy to work with to get exactly what you imagine. Very nice folks, too.

I had Scheme Designers do mine originally. Loved the result and they were great to work with!

Then had Jonathon's team (Plane Schemers owner) paint the plane in Gadsden. Jonathon offered some suggested "tweaks" for the design that I did incorporate into the paint job.

In the end, either of those vendors are good to work with and I highly recommend either one. You won't be sorry you paid the money to get a "pro" to help with your design.

I found that some of the dedicated design guys were quite expensive. My painter recommended Aero Graphics out of Colorado. I had a pretty elaborate design consultation and then they made the masks for the painter to use for painting. I think the whole thing was $800 or so.

Another data point

Back in 2018 we were searching for the right person or company to do our design. My twenty something airline pilot ATP A&P son was at OSH and I asked him to research the two firms that I knew had a booth there.

He went to the first one (mentioned in a few posts here) and the folks there wouldn’t give him the time of day.

He then went to Plane Schemers and spent a lot of time with Jonathan. Jonathan took the time to answer all of my son’s questions. The same happened when I called Jonathan. When I found out that he also owned Evoke, I knew we had found both our designers and paint shop.

They are designing and will paint our RV-10 hopefully early next year.

Last edited:
Just a note about Scheme Designers. This was 15 years ago so their practices may have changed but it still frosts me.

Paid for a scheme for my Rocket because I wanted to coordinate the interior and engine together. Found my scheme on another RV before I got mine painted. SD had given my scheme away and not kept it proprietary, like I ASSUMED.

Very pleased with Plane Schemer in Gadsden, Alabama. They offered up several ideas after I explained basically what I wanted, and we went through multiple iterations to get it just right. Very easy to work with, and the process didn't get dragged out. I felt it was a good value.

Johnathon and his team do a great job, I highly recommend them. If you end up using them as a paint shop I know you will be more than happy , I was. Highly recommend, great people.

I can recommend GLO Aircraft Painting in Roanoke, TX @ 52F (DR’s home). They did a very nice job on my former RV8 that won me an award at SNF 2019. GLO has done over 300 RV’s and were good to work with and finished on time.

Back