What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto 2-blade prop torque

LarryT

Well Known Member
Couldn't find anything with a search. I loosened the bolts for a re-torque. My recollection is 38 - 40 ft.-lbs. Can someone please confirm. I know it's on the back of the hub - I'm trying to avoid taking it off

Thanks,

LarryT

Couldn't find anything with a search. I loosened the bolts for a re-torque. My recollection is 38 - 40 ft.-lbs. Can someone please confirm. I know it's on the back of the hub - I'm trying to avoid taking it off
Thanks,
LarryT

Not that familiar with the 2-blade, but my 3-blade has the torque information on the side of the hub between blades.

Bolt size is 7/16

..and yes, Mel, I am perfectly aware that the info is on the hub where I can't read it without taking the prop completely off (see post #1). Call me lazy if you wish, but I am really anxious to get this plane back in the air. I am going to write it on the spinner bulkhead. In the future I will just be able to back off the bolts, then re-torque the next day.

LarryT

I'm confused!

..and yes, Mel, I am perfectly aware that the info is on the hub where I can't read it without taking the prop completely off (see post #1). Call me lazy if you wish, but I am really anxious to get this plane back in the air. I am going to write it on the spinner bulkhead. In the future I will just be able to back off the bolts, then re-torque the next day.
LarryT

I can read mine with the prop on the engine and torqued. It's on the SIDE of the hub.
Is yours different?
I don't understand why it can't be read without removing the prop.
What am I misunderstanding?

Mel, you are correct

I guess it was really late or I was relying on poor memory. 38 ft.-lbs. I think I will take a day or two off. Working on the plane after a 12 hr. day that include 5 hrs. of car travel and 1:15 commercial return flight was not the best idea.

Larry

Depends on the bolt size.....

No sir, it doesn't. But I'm glad to see you (or a mod) deleted your subsequent rude, pointless, and snarky post. For a specific hub thickness, Craig uses the same torque for both 7/16" and 1/2" bolts. With a 3 1/2" thick prop hub, he ups it from 40 to 45 lbs. Standard torque value charts per bolt size do not apply to Catto props.

Last edited:
No sir, it doesn't. But I'm glad to see you (or a mod) deleted your subsequent rude, pointless, and snarky post. For a specific hub thickness, Craig uses the same torque for both 7/16" and 1/2" bolts. With a 3 1/2" thick prop hub, he ups it from 40 to 45 lbs. Standard torque value charts per bolt size do not apply to Catto props.

Nada... and you must be one that over torques every bolt. As I recall 3/8" is less torque on the 320 per bolt spec per Catto. :) and I've talked to Craig about 45 ft lbs, you can go there but it is NOT required on the 7/16", 40 ft lbs is printed on my prop. I would do 45 ft lbs the 1/2" if as labeled. Have a beer.

Last edited:
Nada... and you must be one that over torques every bolt. As I recall 3/8" is less torque on the 320 per bolt spec per Catto. :) and I've talked to Craig about 45 ft lbs, you can go there but it is NOT required on the 7/16", 40 ft lbs is printed on the prop. I would do 45 ft lbs the 1/2" as labeled. Have a beer.

Done did. :) But I've seen two different Cattos w/ 1/2" bolts with two different torque specs stickered on the side. Only difference was the hub thickness.

YES

On the 1/2" it took the torque out to the limits... was 40 ft lbs then max at 45 ft lbs... you will not want to put 45 ft lbs on a 3/8 " prop bolt on a Catto prop period! :) RVadmirer... you are correct. :) Have another beer!

Last edited:

LarryT

Exactly why I take pictures and just loud them on photobucket.

Every time I told myself to remember "this"... I forgot :eek:

IO-360:

70CA50DB-F382-4275-8982-D5B5F0A61455-4744-0000035D5EAC3556_zps631c2fcd.jpg

as I just received a new prop from Craig for testing. Label shows 38 lb/ft for 7/16" bolts.

Darn Mel... Craig slipped you one of the old labels ahh... :D :eek:

Could be a two blade/three blade thing with some of his new prop designs. Maybe the thickness and type of material the crush plate is made of ? Dunno. Like you stated... it is right there on the prop between the blades.

I did when it occurred to me it might ruffle feathers. When it comes to safety I'd prefer to be accurate than PC. I think it's more important.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
AS noted above, not all of the Catto props use the same values. It is not necessarily based on "when" it was MFG'd. The most accurate answer is the info printed on your own propeller. Here is what mine has on it ...

IMG_6257-320x198.jpg

Just a Question

Just a question, not a comment:

How much difference is there in the friction between the hub and the prop when you torque the bolts to 38, or 40, or 42 lb/ft. ? As I understand it, the friction is what holds the prop, not the shear of the bolts. That's why the mfg's call out 7" diameter hubs. I stand ready to be corrected.

How critical is this measurement, or are we "measuring with a micrometer and cutting with an axe?"

Back