What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Brake Fluid Recommendation

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
Was about to order fluid for my brakes, but I'm not sure about quantity. Appreciate suggestions on "reasonable" amount and brand. Have read through the various ideas on devices to best bleed them and I'll be working on that too.
thks.

MATCO mfg's Technical Service bulletin (REV G 03/2011 SRT) which came with my brakes stated "Use only red aircraft fluid Mil-H-5606 or other suitable petroleum or silicon-based fluids."
Van's sell:
Royco 782 1 Quart (This is more than enough to service your brakes)

Part Number = BRAKE FLUID 782 QT
Price = $11.50
Aircraft Spruce:
ATF BRAKE FLUID 4 OUNCE (This should fill your system without much left over)
Part #15-04990
Price = $5.85

The Royco 782 is what I just upgraded to. It is the newer 83282 mil spec with a higher flash point (safer) but is completely compatible with 5606 and all seals that work with 5606.

The appropriate quantity depends not so much on the capacity of your brake system (doesn't require very much), but more on what you plan on using to bleed the brakes. There are lots of different ways of doing it but the pump up garden sprayer variations will take more fluid in the tank and the smaller hand pumps will take less. I borrowed a pump up type bleeder that is sold by ATS that a clever person modified with an automotive type air valve at the top so you can fill it from the compressor without introducing air bubbles all through the fluid. Worked great but I was glad to have put a quart of fluid in it. It took all of three minutes total to bleed the brakes and they are firmer than they've ever been:)

Recommend the Royco 782 ....

...as said above, it has a higher flash point ... a MUCH higher flash point. 5606 fluid flashes at 203F, while the 83282 (royco 782) is 490F. If you've ever seen the results of a brake fire, you don't want to take that chance.

I would order 2 qts of whatever fluid you decide on. It will take less than a pint or so to fill the system, but you need more than that in the filling process for the pressure device, as noted previously. If you discover any leaks while filling/bleeding, you'll use that much more.

Concur, Royco 782 is the appropriate brake fluid and you will need less than a quart. Van's carries it here:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1361893507-412-432&browse=new&product=b-fluid

Product Data Sheet:

http://www.qclubricants.com/msds/PDS/Royco782.pdf

Matco info: Buna-n orings are used in this assembly. Mil-H-5606 aircraft hydraulic fluid or compatible fluids are reccomended. DOT5 may be used but not DOT5.1 which contains glycol. DOT3 and DOT4 may not be used and will cause immediate damage to the seals.

Best NOT to use automotive brake fluids in aircraft brake systems!:eek:

Last edited:
Back