What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Supplies

jwheeler313

I am planning ahead for the completion of my empennage and wanted a suggested list of materials for completing the fiberglass tips. What materials and quantities should I order to do the fiberglass for the empennage and wings plus some extra for practice?

Search the forums for "West Systems" - a huge amount of data already here in the forums on this.

Plan ahead but not too far ahead. The epoxies don't work so well if left unused on the shelf for extended periods. Also, stick with West Systems which is a structural epoxy. Not all the areas require "structural" epoxy but if you go with a cheaper epoxy from the beginning, you'll only end-up having to buy a structural epoxy later. I'd recommend the "slow" hardener to increase your working time if you have low experience with fiberglass or work in hot climates.

The only West pair most often used for structural work on composite planes is with the slow hardener. And most epoxies can be warmed up to break down any crystalization and be perfectly useful again. Check the manufacturer's web sites for specific data. This one is fabulous and has gobs of good information for West System: http://www.gougeon.com/

I would strongly recommend that you NOT work on the rudder bottom just yet. I carefully did mine during the waiting period for my wing kit, and several years later discovered that I have to do it all over again. The reason is, it needs to be trimmed to match the bottom of the fuselage. I was naive enough to think that the parts, as they come from Vans, would fit perfectly (true of all the aluminum stuff... not fiberglass). It sticks down below the bottom of the fuselage by about an inch. This picture tells it all:

P1000049%20(Small).JPG

Back