What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496 display

glenn72pc

I have a 496 with many mark on the display does any one know if you can polish the dispay and if so with what

use some of your polish for the canopy and windshield. this will make the screen look like new. plexus ect.

There is an anti-reflective coating on these screens that is easily damaged by ammonia based cleaners and it can be scratched and sometimes flakes off.

Turbo may be right, I would say that if you polish all of it off, it may be just fine. Do at your own risk though...

There is an anti-reflective coating on these screens that is easily damaged by ammonia based cleaners and it can be scratched and sometimes flakes off.

Turbo may be right, I would say that if you polish all of it off, it may be just fine. Do at your own risk though...

I polished mine off without knowing it. Now it looks awful and is harder to see in the sun........

As several others have mentioned, don't use any kind of polish or cleaner on the 496 screen ... get a high quality eyeglasses cloth for coated lenses or a lens cleaning cloth from a camera store, these work great and don't degrade the surface. If you've scratched the 496 screen bad enough where it really bothers you, there's several vendors on eBay that sell stick-on screen covers in both glossy and anti-reflective finishes ... they work well to cover up the scratches and restore clarity to the screen, just don't ever try to pull it back off (don't ask me why I know this!), once its on, it stays on.

Back