What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The radio shack kid in me ;-) How to get up to speed in electrical

bgrandorff

Anyone recommend any good books or training on electrical systems? I want to be comfortable with bench testing electronics and installing.

I have been around electronics my whole life..computer repair, and so on. But you typically don't have to break out an ohmmeter in that world.
So I'd like to get some hands on.

Has anyone here had any recent training...possibly the EAA course or other?

Bob's Aeroelectric Connection is the bible for homebuilding and electrical systems.

https://matronics.com/aeroelectric/Catalog/AECcatalog.html

It won't however teach you about all the new fangled toys available now and what they do and how to connect them together into an integrated system. That takes hours and hours of digging in the manuals, researching and absorbing info from people in the know.

Check out Forrest Mims stuff

Mr Mims is an electronics genius who writes books and articles for guys like you and me.

http://www.forrestmims.com/

Years ago, he wrote a series of little books that were sold in Radio Shack. I have all of them. All I can say is EXCELLENT!

Check it out...

There's way more in Aeroelectric Connection than you really need to know to wire the typical VFR plane. The problem is, until you know what you need to and don't need to know from it, it can be pretty frustrating.

Much more helpful for getting to the basics, in my opinion, were the articles and books by Tony Bingelis, available from EAA. The former are free through the EAA website, and most of them ended up reprinted in the texts as well.

Van's drawings and instructions (that can be ordered separately from their wiring harness) were also invaluable and rounded things out.

Now, the only thing I use Nuckoll's book for is when I'm interested in learning more about a particular topic, just because I want to know more about it. It would also probably be a necessary supplement for those with IFR panels and who are thus concerned about things like e-busses and such. Since I'm VFR only, such things were overkill.

Good luck. It can be a steep learning curve, but it is do-able!

Back