What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Synthetic Vision in the Mountains - Video Demo

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Over the years, I have had the opportunity to look at developmental Synthetic Vision systems in various simulators, and have always felt that the technology was very promising. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to spend any time with them in the "real world" until recently. As we all know things can be very different between simulations and the real world, so I have been anxious to see how the tools play when the chips are down, and have real value. Now that I have a system in my airplane, I am finding that the promises are being fulfilled, but that there is also a non-trivial learning curve involved - like with any new technology in the cockpit, pilots have to learn how to use it and what kind of limitations it has. Our recent trip to the mountains of Southern California gave me an opportunity to start my way up the learning curve, and I can share a few observations. These notes apply specifically to the first release of the Grand Rapids Technology HX with Synthetic Vision. In this release, terrain is displayed, but there are no runways, roads, or other manmade landmarks depicted.

1) Probably the most difficult thing to try and get out of the SV depiction of terrain is how far away you are from it. When you look out the window at the real world, you see features such as trees, roads, and buildings that give you an intuitive sense of how high you are. Without these cues, even though the virtual terrain is accurately reproduced from elevation data, it is very hard to see if you are about to skim the surface, or if you are safely 1,000 above it. Flying into a wide mountain valley, you can see the peaks on either side, but it is hard to tell if you are descending into the terrain in the middle. I was approaching Big Bear Lake at night, and to be honest, I was really glad when I picked up the lights of the town and the runway, because this gave me a much better feeling for ground clearance than I got from the SV (at first). After seeing the relationship of the SV view and that of the real world out the window, this uncertainty lessened, but there is a definite amount of learning that your mind has to go through to get the correlation.

2) Probably one of the most important features of the SV display is the "horizon line", something I really didn't think would matter at first. This line shows where the earth's horizon would be if you could see it (through clouds or terrain that is in the way). You need to use this line to help your mind understand if the terrain that is depicted on the SV display is higher or lower than your present position - anything above the line is higher, anything that is below the line should pass under you if you are in level flight. It is important to couple the horizon line with the velocity vector - in the case of the GRT, a little circle with stub wings and tail - that shows exactly where you are headed. If this is in the sky, then you should clear the terrain. If it is pointed at terrain, you will eventually hit the ground. Of course, it's height above or below the horizon line tells if you are climbing or descending. It is important to correlate all three things - SV terrain, Horizon line, and Velocity Vector - in order to truly figure out if you are going to clear or impact terrain.

3) Doing an approach into an airport at night in the mountains, the terrain was neat to have, but what really made me feel comfortable was the artificial glide slope guidance - in the case of the GRT, this is provided via the Highway in the Sky. There simply is not enough depth detail in the SV to give you the same visual cues that you get when you fly "out the window", so some form of guidance is necessary. The HITS display gives you this reference, and a measure of understanding of where you are relative to your intended path. Perhaps when the runways get added to the display, this will become less important, but I found the HITS path to be very important when I descended below 1,000' AGL at night. Interestingly enough, the best intuitive guidance comes when you get low enough that the HITS "squares" start touching the terrain ahead. The bottom half of the squares end up beneath the surface, and are therefore hidden. The point where the sides touch the ground actually then give you a very strong visual cue for how high you are - this is perhaps a clue as to how our minds interpret the terrain clearance picture - we need to see something that represents exactly where the terrain is out in front of us, and the featureless shades don't do this as well as we'd like.

4) So, if I feel that I need some sort of guidance lines (other than just seeing the terrain), what good is the Synthetic Vision? Why not just have geometric guidance the way we have had up until now? Well, that's a good question. First, I think the we have to remember that the current state of the art in SV representations of terrain are works in progress. More detail will soon be added that will give us a better intuitive sense of height and motion. Second, the SV gives us a great overall situational awareness vision - we know that if we turn off the path, we'll have a mountain or hill over there that is higher than we are. This is extremely valuable, and the more I watch the videos of the work I did in the mountains, the clearer the value becomes. In fact, that is really th whole point ? there is a learning curve! You can?t expect to go out and use this tool in bad weaetrh or at night without first getting used to what it is telling you ? but once you do that, the benefits really begin to stand out.

The following video shows an approach to Big Bear Lake (L35) in California. The approach was flown at night, the data recorded, and then video?d off the screen in playback mode on the ground (which is why there is some semblance of smoothness!) - Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8SID85-BQk

Paul

Synthetic Vision Demo

Excellent job, Paul! Thanks for taking the time to publish this.
Don

Nice work, thanks for posting it...

I know next to nothing about this sort of equiment... but can the grand rapids display the runway?

In our basic, monocrome certified GPS on the T-34 I will set it direct to the destination via the FAF when shooting non GPS approaches and then set the range to Auto... it gives a course line form the FAF to the airport and then as I close in it displays the runways... a great SA tool, especially when going to unfamiliar airfields... it seems like that would make the Grand Rapids go from a 4.5 out of 5 stars to 5 stars in my books.

That said I've got zero synthetic vision... just a good monocrome moving map... T-34 GPS=3.0 stars :D

Very Nice!

Great demo Paul, thanks very much for capturing and publishing it.

I am continuously amazed by the avionics we have at our disposal in the experimental community.

Nice work, thanks for posting it...

I know next to nothing about this sort of equiment... but can the grand rapids display the runway?

Somewhere buried in all that text, I thought I mentioned that they didn't have the runways in this version - Todd wasn't quite satisifed with them yet, so I expect them in a later software drop. It will make a big difference in close on approach!

(Making the demo file, and shooting it on the ground is easy - what takes time for me is trying to figure out video editing on the computer! I get it, but it takes awhile....)

Paul

Hummmm

Nice post, thanks....

Question and comment: When flying hits, just about on the runway... Did the boxes actually disappear into the ground? It seems to me that the bottom of the box would remain at the top of the runway; down the runway...?

I belive you mentioned that the HX GPS puts the boxes up on the screen..? If so what would an interface of a 430 or 530 give you..?

Last edited:
Way cool, Paul! If that isn't just like a video game, I don't know what is. What's next, I wonder ...? Truly amazing gadgets we have nowadays.

I Want One Too

Great demo.....I'm drooling.

I came very close to originally going with Chelton for the synthetic vision but the price was a deal killer. Now, all I need to do is get my plane painted then refill my coffers to pay for an HX upgrade.

So, what about adding an additional screen for the back seater so they can get all the enjoyment as well?

GRT has great products and super people. It will be interesting to see what they have 10 years from now.

Nice post, thanks....

Question and comment: When flying hits, just about on the runway... Did the boxes actually disappear into the ground? It seems to me that the bottom of the box would remain at the top of the runway; down the runway...?

I belive you mentioned that the HX GPS puts the boxes up on the screen..? If so what would an interface of a 430 or 530 give you..?

Let's see - the boxes actually shrink as you get closer to the approach "focal point" (touchdown target I'd assume), but they seem to shrink only to some minimum size, therefore theoretically, at touchdown, half the box would be underground, and half above. Mind you, I am TOTALLY guessing how it is coded here, based on what I have seen - I could be wrong.

I am not using the HX GPS (it doesn't have one) to drive it - that is the 430 putting out position - the HX uses the position to draw the approach.

Paul

I'd like to add my thanks, Paul for taking the time and putting the effort to educate and update us. Your thoughtfulness and help to the RV family is always appreciated and noticed.

Thanks again,
Gerry Hatch
Dual HX in the box but not in the panel (yet)

Well, that's a question answered

Yes, I will upgrade my HS to an HX.

Thank you for your attention to detail, Paul. Well done.

One More....

Here is another video in a similar vein - this was over at the other end of Big bear Lake, where the lake drains over a dam, and then down a canyon and out to the LA basin. This jumps back and forth between the map view and the PFD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNI8aiKnTe8

We have some real-world video of parts of this, and will have to try and edit them in to make a direct comparison betwen the SV and what you see out the window.

But that could take some time....

Paul

Thanks for all this effort, we greatly appeciate it. Nice demos and write ups.

Have you flown this with an ILS and does the HITS ever disagree with the ILS or are they well Sync'd? I could imagine cases where they don't match but both would get you to the ground, just from slightly different courses??

Thanks again.

PS, used to live down the hill from Big Bear and flew over it before but never attempted landing there as the rentals had dubious ability to get back out in daylight/heat.

Thanks for all this effort, we greatly appeciate it. Nice demos and write ups.

Have you flown this with an ILS and does the HITS ever disagree with the ILS or are they well Sync'd? I could imagine cases where they don't match but both would get you to the ground, just from slightly different courses??

Thanks again.

PS, used to live down the hill from Big Bear and flew over it before but never attempted landing there as the rentals had dubious ability to get back out in daylight/heat.

They disagree quite a bit. Some approaches more than others. Typically, and this is configurable, the needles are tracking vor/ils, and the HITS is synthetic. You have to be REAL careful with those approaches where the lateral is offset on the localizer. Many times this is done for obstruction reasons. If there is an obstruction reason, then you ahd better not be shooting synthetic. The synthetic is dumb and only sends you right down the centerline of the runway, where there might be a mountain or bldg or whatever.

It will be nice if/when the plate is overlayed with both top and side views of the approach, then you'll have it all.

Best,

Kahuna has it spot on! The Synthetic Approach is just a fixed glideslope angle and an extension of th runway. The HITS will sync to a glide slope angle, but if I am flying a real ILS, I use the real ILS needles as primary, and the HITS for situational awareness. if I am flying a non-precision approach, then I follow the approach plate exactly, and the HITS is nice to make sure you are in th ballpark. I find the HITS nice at night at a strange field as a sanity check on my glideslope angel - but visual out the window is still primary.

Paul

HITS and SV

[Okay..editing my post as I see right when I published this Paul was replying so some of it answered already...but still would like to hear more.. does anyone know if HITS will be
combined with GPS approaches or ILS in the future to accurately bring you in?]
The HITS is pretty cool..but I wonder what it truly provides if it isn't aware of the actual approach information? I'm speaking out loud for feedback, not to knock it.

I wonder what the tendency for a pilot to try and follow the HITS would be. I really liked your video and especially the part where you were turning in the pattern where your altitude was higher and you would have had to do a sharp turn (and likely a subsequent stall) to make the HITS. It was comforting to see you just fly the plane, but it will be interesting to see how many pilots try to hard to make the HITS boxes versus just flying the airplane...much like a true missed turn to final with an over correction.

I can say that I assumed (and incorrectly) that HITS would provide a safe approach to the runway, and that it would follow a standard GPS approach or ILS, etc. What value is it truly providing then if it doesn't?
I can really see the value in synthetic vision as a tool for understanding your surroundings, but HITS would make me a little nervous?

On a somewhat similar not..I recently
I watched a video on youtube of a gentleman in a piper with an avidyne and it was in what appeared to be just standard VFR and a VFR flight. His view was drawn to the glass panel and buttons almost the whole time.

They disagree quite a bit. Some approaches more than others. Typically, and this is configurable, the needles are tracking vor/ils, and the HITS is synthetic. You have to be REAL careful with those approaches where the lateral is offset on the localizer. Many times this is done for obstruction reasons. If there is an obstruction reason, then you ahd better not be shooting synthetic. The synthetic is dumb and only sends you right down the centerline of the runway, where there might be a mountain or bldg or whatever.

It will be nice if/when the plate is overlayed with both top and side views of the approach, then you'll have it all.

Best,

Last edited:
hummmmm

Best,

How can this be if the gps data that is displayed on the 430ww or 530 is sent to the GRT. What is displayed on the 430 or 530 should be identical on the GRT. Are you interfacing the 430 and not the 430W to the GRt..?

SOMETHING DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT.:confused:

Demo

How can this be if the gps data that is displayed on the 430ww or 530 is sent to the GRT. What is displayed on the 430 or 530 should be identical on the GRT. Are you interfacing the 430 and not the 430W to the GRt..?

The GRT gives you lateral guidance from the GPS. If I recall from the GRT manual, the vertical guidance is supposedly a 3 degree slope derived from your non 430w/530w GPS. In my experience, using a Garmin 396 for guidance, my GRT generally puts me below the 3 degree VASI lights at my airport (KAJR). This is not a problem at my airport, although I can check the thickness of the paint on the Church Steeple a quarter of a mile from the end of runway 24!

As others have said, if your approach is at an angle different from the center line of the runway, use caution.;)

When in doubt, read the manual!! I'd suggest starting on page 52 of the Horizon manual to learn more about what SAP is and what it is not. A lot of these questions here are answered in 3 pages of the manual.

I think you might be confusing the GPS and ILS portions of the 430/530. The HITS is derived in the EFIS using GPS position, and knowledge of the location of the runway. The ILS data is sent to the EFIS from the VHF portion of the 430/530 over dedicated lines, and displayed as needles or bars.

If I am flying an ILS, I use ILS data. If I am flying some other approach, I use the HITS for situational awareness.

Paul

HITS

So I am really just now getting up to speed on all the glass and sv out on the market. DIdn't realize it but other vendors like chelton's system do use HITS for their approaches.

Nice feature...might be integrated into the Grand Rapids sometime?

Highway-In-The-Sky
? Creates a virtual 3-D "tunnel" for all enroute and instrument procedures?you simply fly your aircraft through the boxes, which makes executing flight plans and instrument approaches almost effortless

? Easy push-button flight planning to any destination

? Allows you to designate precision VFR approaches to any landing area

extra monitor?

Can you add an additional screen to something like this?....Say for the co-pilot or the back seat....or, do you have to purchase an additional unit?

Thank you for video and notes. Very valuable.

Regards

Evans

So I am really just now getting up to speed on all the glass and sv out on the market. Didn't realize it but other vendors like chelton's system do use HITS for their approaches.

Nice feature...might be integrated into the Grand Rapids sometime?

Highway-In-The-Sky
? Creates a virtual 3-D "tunnel" for all enroute and instrument procedures?you simply fly your aircraft through the boxes, which makes executing flight plans and instrument approaches almost effortless

? Easy push-button flight planning to any destination

? Allows you to designate precision VFR approaches to any landing area

I think that with the new processor, they now have some room to expand the features - all it will take is some time. I have often thought that it should be simple to make the HITS work enroute - not exactly sure how useful it would be, but it would be interesting.

Yes, they have a ways to go on "Easy push-button flight planning"....I rarely use the internal flight plan, as I build it in my 430, and then just watch it on the GRT. I will occasionally run a backup or alternate plan internally, but with my 696, I just do it on there.

I would love to be able to define Synthetic Approaches to field not in the database - my home Airpark is an example - would be nice to have a Synthetic into there at times...

Paul

HITS and ILS

Hey Paul,
Not trying to beat a dead horse. :eek: If you have an active ILS approach into a runway, are you saying there is there no way to make the HITS sync up with the ILS. I know you can always follow the needles down to the runway, but does the HITS always use the synthetic approach data and not the ILS data? It seems it would be MUCH more useful if you could make the HITS agree with the ILS. Thanks, as always, for your informative posts.
Mark

Hey Paul,
Not trying to beat a dead horse. :eek: If you have an active ILS approach into a runway, are you saying there is there no way to make the HITS sync up with the ILS. I know you can always follow the needles down to the runway, but does the HITS always use the synthetic approach data and not the ILS data? It seems it would be MUCH more useful if you could make the HITS agree with the ILS. Thanks, as always, for your informative posts.
Mark

As always, check the manuals Mark, but when I bring up the HITS at the same time that I have an ILS tuned, I get a message that says "Synthetic Approach Using Glide slope Angle". I have generally used the needles for an ILS as my absolute "floor" for the approach, and reference both the HITS and the needles.

But still it is important to remember that for a non-precision approach, the HTS gives NO (that is none) obstacle/terrain clearance guarantees. It is really useful at night to establish a visual reference for a glide slope angle in the absence of a VASI, especially at a strange field - but in that case, I definitely favor the high side of the box.

Paul

hummmmm

As always, check the manuals Mark, but when I bring up the HITS at the same time that I have an ILS tuned, I get a message that says "Synthetic Approach Using Glide slope Angle". I have generally used the needles for an ILS as my absolute "floor" for the approach, and reference both the HITS and the needles.

But still it is important to remember that for a non-precision approach, the HTS gives NO (that is none) obstacle/terrain clearance guarantees. It is really useful at night to establish a visual reference for a glide slope angle in the absence of a VASI, especially at a strange field - but in that case, I definitely favor the high side of the box.

Paul

I need to clear up something.....Does your 430 drive the efis and steam needles? Does the GRT have needles for a screen? I do not and have not had a chance to see or use (in operation) the GRT.....other than what I have seen in print. I would like to operate before purchase.

I need to clear up something.....Does your 430 drive the efis and steam needles? Does the GRT have needles for a screen? I do not and have not had a chance to see or use (in operation) the GRT.....other than what I have seen in print. I would like to operate before purchase.

I hope I understand your question - I think I do....yes, the GRT EFIS will display the analog outputs of the 430 (VOR/LOC/GS) on the screens, either as needles or bars. I have NO mechanical "needles" in my airplane.

Paul

As a non pilot it was interesting for me to watch the video and dream of actually flying it. Therefore I was surprised at the lack of screen detail and the resultant inability for me to tell exactly how far apart the plane and ground were. I could tell the plane landed gently ( I think ) by the little jerk of the horizon line. In real life, (if fantasy were real) with me using that display while flying blind in fog, that little jerk might be bigger. When "Others" have talked of incorporating a google map display the response was the inability to carry that much information in the plane. I wonder if internet using satellite recievers would keep up with the data rate, and whether that increased resolution display would really offer more situational awareness? I also wondered if by using touch sensitive screens, you could move the HITs boxes to where you wanted them.

Larry,
Even as a real pilot you won't be landing in blind fog... or at least if you do...you won't be a real pilot for long. With the exception of some of the commercial airliners, you generally need at least a 200 foot minimum for your approach. Meaning, if you cannot see the runway by the time you are 200 foot above it, you won't be landing at that runway.
Satellite technology of what you are speaking about would be iffy. The receivers for data downloads are to big right now to really put in a GA aircraft AFAIK.

One last thing...if you have never flown before... I would HIGHLY recommend going down to your local airport and taking a discovery flight. Depending on where you live, it will usually range from 50 to 125 dollars. It is the best money you can spend on just about anything! Word of warning though, it may cost you a whole lot more after you catch the bug.

As a non pilot it was interesting for me to watch the video and dream of actually flying it. Therefore I was surprised at the lack of screen detail and the resultant inability for me to tell exactly how far apart the plane and ground were. I could tell the plane landed gently ( I think ) by the little jerk of the horizon line. In real life, (if fantasy were real) with me using that display while flying blind in fog, that little jerk might be bigger. When "Others" have talked of incorporating a google map display the response was the inability to carry that much information in the plane. I wonder if internet using satellite recievers would keep up with the data rate, and whether that increased resolution display would really offer more situational awareness? I also wondered if by using touch sensitive screens, you could move the HITs boxes to where you wanted them.

hummmmmm

I hope I understand your question - I think I do....yes, the GRT EFIS will display the analog outputs of the 430 (VOR/LOC/GS) on the screens, either as needles or bars. I have NO mechanical "needles" in my airplane.

Paul

Ok, so the 430 feeds the grt efis which gives you the acurate ILS & LOC.

Then why is there a difference as mentioned above? The HITS doesnt use this data but instead uses GPS info to determine where to place the boxes? This doesnt make sense.......:confused:

Then why is there a difference as mentioned above? The HITS doesnt use this data but instead uses GPS info to determine where to place the boxes? This doesnt make sense.......:confused:

Personally, I think it makes a lot of sense when you realize how conservative the GRT guys are. They are basically telling you that the HITS is experimental, and NOT for guidance on a real, no-kidding ILS. For that, they have the simplest, most fool-proof coding of the real data on needles to use - very conservative.

Now, of course, as I mentioned, when you arm the HITS for a runway with an ILS, and an ILS frequency is tuned, you get the message "HITS using ILS Glideslope"....as I said above, download and read the manual to see if that satisifies you.

Paul,

Do you have a pic/video of how the HX moving map depicts runways and/or obstacles? Do obstacles appear in the HX PFD? (3D?) As you said, the runway depiction is under development. I was wondering about obstacles.

Thanks,
Gerry Hatch

Paul,

Do you have a pic/video of how the HX moving map depicts runways and/or obstacles? Do obstacles appear in the HX PFD? (3D?) As you said, the runway depiction is under development. I was wondering about obstacles.

Thanks,
Gerry Hatch

I haven't seen obstacles represented yet in the HX Gerry (that I can remember), but they do appear in the HS, and you get obstacle warnings on the HX. My guess is that they are still under development, along with the runways.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks,
Gerry Hatch

they are work and nice to see all the towers around our airport on the HX.

Will try and get pictures.

Somewhere buried in all that text, I thought I mentioned that they didn't have the runways in this version -<snip>

Paul

I bet it was buried in the text... I obviously didn't read all the text.. but I watched all the video! :eek::D

Thanks again for the contribution

hummmmmm

Personally, I think it makes a lot of sense when you realize how conservative the GRT guys are. They are basically telling you that the HITS is experimental, and NOT for guidance on a real, no-kidding ILS. For that, they have the simplest, most fool-proof coding of the real data on needles to use - very conservative.

Now, of course, as I mentioned, when you arm the HITS for a runway with an ILS, and an ILS frequency is tuned, you get the message "HITS using ILS Glideslope"....as I said above, download and read the manual to see if that satisifies you.

Do you have split screens for your ILS needles and hits or is it an overlay?

I would love to see an ILS app.

Obstacles

Yes - I took an evening flight today, and pointed th plane at some of our local tall towers. the obstacles are live on the HX, and look pretty much like they do on the HS - vertical lines, looking like towers.

What I find funny about GRT's obstacle avoidance warnings is that when i fly Acro, I get a warning when I am pointed at the ground. Yup - big, round obstacle, and 8,000 miles in diameter!:eek:

Paul

Some Real Video for Comparison

I finally cobbled together some of the live video that Louise shot at the same time as the clip we took in the quote below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8v5iCAAxiM

I wish I was talented enough to split screen them, so you could make a direct comparison, but if nothing else, it is a mildly motivational video of flying in the mountains....:)

Here is another video in a similar vein - this was over at the other end of Big bear Lake, where the lake drains over a dam, and then down a canyon and out to the LA basin. This jumps back and forth between the map view and the PFD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNI8aiKnTe8

Back