What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turbo Heat Muff ACS

Same concept but different approach.
I have spun up a .032 stainless steel wire (safety wire) coil that I stretched it out a bit and wound it around the tail pipe, than installed the heat muff cover over it. Did help produce a bit more heat but if you try this, don't make the coil windings too dense as it will obstruct air flow through the muff to a certain extent.
My process to make the ss wire coil - chuck a 1/4" dowel in a slow turning drill motor, secure the end of the safety wire to the dowel near the drill chuck and gradually spin the coil. 12" of coil would be plenty after you stretch it out & wrap it around the tail pipe. Be sure to secure it to not move when the outter shell is reinstalled around the heat muff.

I just installed one on my 8. I left the restrictor off which provides more air at even a hotter temp than the stock one did.

Has anyone tried the Turbo heat muff from ACS? My 6A does not provide a decent amount of heat in the cabin. I only have one muff, I believe it is Vans, on a Vetterman exhaust and no space for a second one.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/turboheat05-15249.php

Seems like it should work better than stock.

Thanks,
Mike

I purchased one from ACS a couple of years ago and used it in series with the stock Vans muff. It made big difference. Very pleased with the quality of construction and performance. Perhaps my GIB is even more pleased!

If you do a search, you can probably find some other reviews. It was a PIREP here that influenced my decision to buy one (and the need to keep my bride happy!).

Brian

I put one on my 7A a couple months ago. Works great. Was able to get a 9” one on in the stock location. Noticeable increase in heat.

Great responses. Looks like it may be worth the money. I was planning on leaving the baffle out assuming I can control the air coming into the cabin with the flapper valve. I have to order and will report back with the outcome. Hopefully I can get it done before winter is over.

Thanks,
Mike

Not Great

Installed one on our RV-6. (O-320). The original was a Vans muff that provided next to no heat. I packed it with steel wool, tried an inlet restrictor but it only heated for a couple of minutes and then ran cold. The turbo muff is only a little better but I really like the rugged way its built. The cabin can get pretty cold cruising at 9500’ on a cold day. I might try the safety wire technique. Meanwhile, we bundle up.

The object is . .

Great responses. Looks like it may be worth the money. I was planning on leaving the baffle out assuming I can control the air coming into the cabin with the flapper valve. I have to order and will report back with the outcome. Hopefully I can get it done before winter is over.

Thanks,
Mike

Limiting the airflow through the HX results in the delta-T across the unit increasing. A least that is the idea where heat transfer is limited by the surface area around the exhaust pipe. I reduced flow at the back of the baffle for my 7.

Also, I added a couple of layers of 1/16" fiberfrax to the outer cover and wrapped by aluminum foil. May not help much as the under cowl temps are elevated over ambient, but . . . .

The outflow temps follow EGT very well. So let's lean out in the winter. I am still trying to find that cold draft up my left armpit.

The object is . .

Limiting the airflow through the HX results in the delta-T across the unit increasing. A least that is the idea where heat transfer is limited by the surface area around the exhaust pipe. I reduced flow at the back of the baffle for my 7.

Also, I added a couple of layers of 1/16" fiberfrax to the outer cover and wrapped by aluminum foil. May not help much as the under cowl temps are elevated over ambient, but . . . .

The outflow temps follow EGT very well. So let's lean out in the winter. I am still trying to find that cold draft up my left armpit.

I know this is a slightly older thread, but my old Van's heat muff was starting to come apart at the end flanges. I ordered the Turbo Heat Muff
from Aircraft Spruce and it is definitely a step up for providing a good source of heat. Really nice welding and the part attaches very securely to
the exhaust pipe. Got to fly it today in my RV7 and actually had to turn the heat down. It said my OAT was 30 degrees Fahrenheit and I barely
had enough heat before. Very pleased with Dave's work.
John

Back