What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ATSB report into a flipped RV-6A

newt

Well Known Member
ATSB has released its report into a flipped RV-6A at William Creek, South Australia.
PR: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2020/landing-accident/
Full report: https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2019/aair/ao-2019-037/

Notably, the report said the accident aircraft had complied with the 2007 nosegear service bulletin, and was also fitted with two aftermarket devices aimed at reducing the risk of nose gear collapse.

From the report:

A reduction in the nose gear ground clearance during landing can result in the nose gear strut or fork impacting the runway and affect the structural integrity of the nose gear. In the tricycle variants of Van?s aircraft, the factors that can affect nose gear ground clearance include the dynamics of the landing, tyre pressure, weight over the nose gear, and runway condition and characteristics.

After-market devices fitted to this aircraft aimed at reducing the risk of a nose-gear collapse and aircraft inversion, did not prevent the accident.

The report doesn't indicate causal factors (other than that it was on a dirt airstrip). I think we know most of them by now anyway.

- mark

New design nose gear

I believe the new (2019) design Vans nose gear for -7A and -9A is a big improvement and is what I plan to fit to my -6A.

I had a look at the wreck when I stayed at the creek, nasty mess -:(
They where lucky to get out alive! It's a weak design even with the bandaid fix!
Shame Vans ruined their stylish designs with a training wheel!:D

Perhaps the accident was a result of a very bad landing (allegedly...but witnessed) the day before.

Maybe the Vans product is not to blame as much as some would think. Just saying' :cool:

Landing

The official ATSB investigation report does not mention any bad landings.

The landing that was followed by the flip sounded reasonable in that speeds were fine and the mains touched down first. There was also no mention of any surface irregularities at the aerodrome.

If however a pilot drove on wheelbarrow style, or hit a pothole, then a gear collapse might not be so surprising.

I think that Vans has done a good thing by revising the design of the nose gear for the -7A and -9A, and I for one will feel a lot more comfortable on grass strips with the new arrangement despite the added cost.

Last edited:
Paul, you are correct, the ATSB report does not mention any bad landings. That does not mean they did not happen.

I am just relaying what a good friend and long term (20+ year) experimental builder and pilot said he saw.

Hundreds of RV's fly off non paved strips all the time and with careful maintenance and flying they seem to do just fine.

This incident happened at a good strip. Blaming the equipment seems a bit at odds here.

Not speculating

David
We don't know for certain what caused this unfortunate accident. Other than the official report we can only speculate, which is "not encouraged" on this site.

Nevertheless I think it is positive that builders now have a choice of undercarriage designs from Vans and we can each install what makes us feel most comfortable.

Back