What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind Prop leaking

FasGlas

Well Known Member
One of my flying partners recently bought a new Whirlwind RV72 prop for his Lancair 360. In less than 50 hours of use he has sent this prop back to Whirlwind 3 times from oil/grease leaking down the blades. They claim they can't find anything wrong yet they have no answers for the continuing leaks. Has anyone else had this problem? It's an injected 180hp with 10:1 and Pmags, nothing unusual.

Same issues with my WW151

Years ago I had the same issue recurring with a WW151. Titan finally replaced it with a WW200. Never bought another one. My Catto never leaked ANYTHING and Craig's word is platinum. WW/Titan pretty products and THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT!

I had a similar problem with my WW200RV after sending it to a WW factory authorized repair place. After the third time I spoke at length with the factory and after carefully describing the symptoms they finally "heard" me and said "oh...they didn't shim it right. Send it to us." I did and I now have many hours leak free.

It's a pretty prop, that I will say, and it seem to perform well on this plane but three reseals and reshimming and still leaks every flight is not acceptable. It's now back at Whirlwind for the forth time. We'll see what they say.

Back