What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Air

The Air up there...

I drilled a 1.5" hole in my wheel pants aligned with the valve stem and use a Semi-Truck tire air extension (can be bought at NAPA). I roll the airplane while looking for a mark I made on the tire, then chock, screw in extension and voila' air it up! I use 40 PSI in my RV4, have for a long time...see ya!

RR

Holey Wheel Pants Batman!

Doors are cool but my wheel pants get beat up so bad on my rough grass strip, anything mechnical in there would get broken, bent or impared with mud. I use a small piece of speed fairing tape over the holes when not adding air...works great, easy and cheap.

RR

My wheel pants have the access hole similar to what Smokyray described except it is a smaller and is covered with an electrical knockout hole snap-in cover.

The snap-in thing has not moved in either wheel pant even though this strip can resemble a stonewall on some frosty mornings.

At the local autoparts store, I bought a package of tubeless tire stems. I then use the hole in the rubber end (opposite the valve), to push over the valve cap to remove it. If the cap's too tight, then stick some needle nose pliers in there first. This "tool" makes it very easy to put the cap back on. I always figured there is a commercial version of this "tool" but just don't see them at auto-part stores.

I then bought a package of four chrome metal valve extentions, and screwed two together, which makes an excellent long and straight extention. This will then screw right on to the valve. All problems solved for less than 10 bucks including parts for an extra set.

Hole size in wheel pant is 7/8".

L.Adamson

Last edited:
Tire filling

I bought the matco or snapon 7 in long silver tube with the two filler ports on the end... if you hold it straight up and down... the filler ports would be a 7 o clock and 2 oclock... Love it... Lets me get in under the wheel pants on the yankee
Brian

Cleaveland

Cleaveland makes a 5" valve stem extension that will go through whatever hole you have in the pant. I have been meaning to order it but I just don't need any other tools right now and it's only about $6.

I just pulled my pants 0ff :) this weekend and aired my tires up. What a pita for a 30 second job. I'm ordering that da*%ed thing even if I have to place a $6 order....

John

Size is everything...

I have tried all of the above including the " valve stem boogie" and nothing matches this slick little item I bought at NAPA. It is called a Semi-truck valve extension tool. It's part number is: M4405 and was bought over the counter. I roll the Rocket over until I see the mark on the tire and simply screw it on the stem through the hole in the wheelpant.
I removed the stem caps from the Bandit's valve-stems and haven't used them since 97'...makes it alot easierto "pump up"...

Rob Ray

Imageshack's website is down so I can't upload a picture of it. I'll have DR post it here for me...see ya!

Rearsteer said:
I was hoping to not drill a hole but may try a hafe inch hole and go up from there if needed.

I put as small a hole as I could on the outside of the wheelpant (3/4) figuring that once the valve is aligned with the hole I could get the valve cap/locknut off without toooo much difficulty......I bought an extension to put air in..........
......after doing this a few times I now just take off the wheelpant to add air (8 screws)....it takes about the same amount of time and the advantage is that you can inspect brakes and wheels at the same time.....

Back