What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speed increase RV-10 due to wheel pants

It's around 15-18 kts total increase (wheel pants + gear leg fairings). BTW, more than half the speed increase actually comes from the gear leg fairings.

Bob

power.jpg

See my flight testing web page for details.

These figures were discussed back in 2007/2008 and appear to be pretty consistent. The general consensus was about 10 knots from leg fairings, and 5 knots from pants.
The real question is how many were done 'without' the pants brackets and hardware?

John

152-156 kias before(more fwd cg-near aft cg). Just put my pants on yesterday at 25 hrs. No real need for them with a 75 nm radius to the north. 168 kias after. I thought it was difficult getting it slowed before compared to the 172 entering the pattern. Oops, you don't need to slow a 172 much do you?

First ride for the wife and kids yesterday. They liked how smooth it felt. Wife was a little concerned about my "new" non-747 pattern and much more terra firma showing in the winshield until flare. Also liked the low wing air cushion until the tires chirped lightly. She liked seeing 30 nm from aprt to our house waypoint and 12 min ete, burning 9.5 gph. Hurry up and get it done.

Glad to hear you are out of Phase 1, Wayne. Congratulations.

(thumbs up to non 747 patterns:))

Well done.

Have you done one of Mr Hortons GPS boxes to compare your ACTUAL TAS to the "indicated" TAS. This will verify your static system is accurate, your airspeeds are accurate and more important your Altimeter and Transponder output from the encoder are accurate?

Can make for some fun tests :)

Wheel Pants

I'm curious, maybe the answer is obvious, but do people tend to leave them off at first to get a feel for the plane at slower speeds, or it is just something thats a last to do on the list?

Last edited:
I left them off because the instructions say that doing so will help with the break in process of a new, or overhauled engine.

You did read the last part of the build instructions, didnt you:rolleyes:

As I recall, it was in there with W/B, and test flying.

Instructions...

This thing comes with instructions? ;-)
Actually not building mine yet, but about to purchase the
Empennage /Tailcone kit so I'm sure I'll get familiar with it soon enough.

15kts

Yep, about 15kts faster with pants on.
I installed them at 15 hours and now it seems like my phase 1 test area is too small.:D

pants%252520on.jpg

I'm curious, maybe the answer is obvious, but do people tend to leave them off at first to get a feel for the plane at slower speeds, or it is just something thats a last to do on the list?

As for breking in the engine.....I dunno so much, it just means your airspeed is 15 knots slower while at the same power setting. And less cooling.

It does however allow you to keep an eye on how the U/C is going, brakes and brake lines etc. This is more important I think.

As many have said before, while you may leave them off until after the initial flights, you definitely want to fit and align them before mounting the wings.

Back