What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question on engine shock mounts

highflight42x

Well Known Member
How often should one replace the elastometric shock mounts on an engine installation? Mine are the 'Lord' type, 22 years old, with 650 hours on my RV3. I'm going to pull the engine off to do some magneto work soon, and wondered if I should replace the shock mounts while I'm at it?

I would, normally they are replaced at TBO, I think 22 years qualifies as TBO.

Replace engine isolators?

How often should one replace the elastometric shock mounts on an engine installation? Mine are the 'Lord' type, 22 years old, with 650 hours on my RV3. I'm going to pull the engine off to do some magneto work soon, and wondered if I should replace the shock mounts while I'm at it?

Yes. Be sure to bite the bullet ($$$-wise) and get the actual Lord mounts. The <$ competitors eliminated the silicone gel guts in order to lower the price. This is definitely a case where one gets what one pays for. I shopped around and remarkably enough got the best price from Jeppeson (!???!).

LarryT
Larry Tompkins
N544WB RV-6A purchased flying
W52 Battle Ground, WA

If they're not heat checked and not excessively stretched, I'd leave them alone. $500 for mounts saved can buy a lot of gas. Well maybe not so much anymore.

That said I rub mounts with DC4 to keep them from drying out.

The Sac Sky Ranch manual has a diagram with allowable limitis of stretch and sag. Might be a good guide for your decision. Mine are 15 years old and sagging pretty bad. If not too bad you might consider flipping top to bottom or adding spacers to the lowers to bring it back up where it shoud be. Both suggestions I got from knowledgeable folks in the business.

Back