What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing vacuum pump from O-320? Magic words?

Tram

Well Known Member
Ok I'm trying to pull the pump. I'm doing good on 3 out of 4 nuts.

Top left (if seated in aircraft looking at engine) appears to be on a stud, won't be any problem as soon as I get bottom left out.

This is the one I need the magic words for. How on earth do you get to this nut??

Hmm.. $35 tool for a onetime job. Maybe the local AP will have something I can borrow. ;)

cheap wrench + cutoff saw + welding skills.

If you don't have the skills, then you gotta have the bux :)

I have first hand experience that all you need is a cheap wrench and a torch of some sort to heat it so you can bend it to the required shape. The dedicated tool works easier though.

When I picked up my plane the pump was dead and I insisted on a new one for the trip cross country. Ordered one overnighted from Cal to FL and watched the mech. install. He used a flat blade screwdriver and light hammer to loosen the nut and re-tighten it. He was very careful and tapped lightly on the lobes as needed to loosen and reinstall. Still doing well after 507 hours.
Would love to pull it and clean it so it goes another 500 hours, as I hear they can if one routinely cleans them, but it's a process....:eek:

Good luck.

Yeh, I just need it removed. Our EFIS should be here soon and the vacuum system is on it's way out.

I have used the "Screwdriver on the nut with a hammer" trick a few times - it works in a pinch, but the time I borrowed the correct tool it took about a minute. Making one out of a cheap wrench is more satisfying!

Paul

Gonna try and beg/borrow one tomorrow. If I can't, I'll try and make one.. Then, I might buy one. :)

Hmm.. $35 tool for a onetime job. Maybe the local AP will have something I can borrow. ;)

Tram,
What makes you think that changing a vacuum pump is a one time job?? It is not something that you use all the time, but when you need it...you need it! If it takes a $35 tool to get your $70K airplane back in the air.....Well, welcome to aviation.
So let me get this straight. You don't want to pay the "local A&P" to change your vacuum pump, but you want to borrow his/her special tool's to do the job?! Am I the only one who sees the irony here??
Flame suit on! Fire away!

Tram,
What makes you think that changing a vacuum pump is a one time job?? It is not something that you use all the time, but when you need it...you need it! If it takes a $35 tool to get your $70K airplane back in the air.....Well, welcome to aviation.
So let me get this straight. You don't want to pay the "local A&P" to change your vacuum pump, but you want to borrow his/her special tool's to do the job?! Am I the only one who sees the irony here??

Posts 3 & 9 Tram says that this is a one time deal, installing an EFIS, vacuum system being removed. I had the same situation when I pulled my pump, and used the hammer and screwdriver method. Bolted on a cover plate since I completely removed the vac system. Seems that purchasing a $35 tool for one use would not be as efficient as spending $35 on a tool that gets more use. I'm all for spending money on tools, just ask my wife!!! :D

When I picked up my plane the pump was dead and I insisted on a new one for the trip cross country. Ordered one overnighted from Cal to FL and watched the mech. install. He used a flat blade screwdriver and light hammer to loosen the nut and re-tighten it. He was very careful and tapped lightly on the lobes as needed to loosen and reinstall. Still doing well after 507 hours.
Would love to pull it and clean it so it goes another 500 hours, as I hear they can if one routinely cleans them, but it's a process....:eek:

Good luck.

Exactly what I used.

Tram,

jetjok... Thank you for your concern but please read the thread before giving your opinions... Click me...

Last edited:
Back