What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AV8OR 3D

bgrandorff

Just curious if anyone is considering the AV80R 3D? Synthetic vision on a portable is pretty nice. I don't see MSRP yet, to see how competitive it will be.

It looks like there is the "Vision" and the "Horizon." "Vision" price not yet announced.

Price

Yea, I noticed that one too (I see your correction).
Difficult to tell if the other will be more or less. They are two different hardware platforms... At 4499 MSRP though that wouldn't be to bad. From what I have seen, vendors can actually sell the Bendix for less then MSRP where for some time on release I seem to recall garmin pretty much locked the prices.

MSRP $4499 per:

https://www.bendixking.com/AV8OR3D/AV8ORHORIZON3D/default.html

Looks like a powerful unit.

Update: I pointed to the wrong unit, but this one looks powerful also!

Interesting advertising...

Interesting that they advertise using it for an approach, which is "legal" in this case because of the safety pilot I believe? But wouldn't be legal at all by itself...

"Update - well after installing the INU correctly, I must admit that the unit was awesome! My safety pilot simulated a complete electrical failure and vacuum failure by covering the entire panel.

I flew a perfect approach to KSBP ILS 11 under the hood with only the AV8OR 3D....when I flew through the DH window and looked up, I was right on centerline - my safety pilot just shook his head. He flies a Bonanza and admitted that he had never seen such a powerful tool.

KSBP is surrounded by mountains and there are mountains to the right and left of the ILS 11 approach. Flying under the hood with the AV8OR 3D looked like I was flying on a site seeing tour of the approach in VFR- amazing..."

Every time I think I settle on a panel...

I'm about a year and a half away from deciding on a panel, so it's good to see more new products at this stage of building.

I'm guessing that it has (what Dynan calls) ADAHRS sensors within, and would need to be hard-mounted to the airplane in flight to be truly useful. (Corrections encouraged.)

Maybe Stein will have a thorough review in an upcoming KP.

Ahh...

Okay, I see it now.. thanks for the above link. So it does have an external unit it talks to. So it really isn't a portable then from what they say. That changes it I suppose.

Interesting is that it uses blue tooth wireless to communicate with the separate components. Makes it easy for retrofit for sure.

Back