What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Machine Countersink for AD-2 Rivets

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am at the place where I need to countersink the forward fuse skin for the eight tiny AN426-AD2 rivets at the hinge locations. Rooted around the web but could find a machine countersink that small. Where can I get this tool, or is there a workaround?

I am at the place where I need to countersink the forward fuse skin for the eight tiny AN426-AD2 rivets at the hinge locations. Rooted around the web but could find a machine countersink that small. Where can I get this tool, or is there a workaround?

Use your deburring tool...carefully...until it fits.

Get a suicide CSK

Everyone should have a "suicide" CSK in their toolbox. Its just a non piloted 100 degree 6 flute countersink you chuck in a drill. I use mine ALOT. just go slowly and touch countersink until the rivet fits correctly. I often use this in lieu of the cage stop when just doing a handfull of rivets, and you will quickly get an eye for the correct depth. I made a simple set of "depth gages" by super gluing a pop rivet stem to a rivet you can pop in and out of a hole and depth check it.

Would a single flute non-piloted countersink also be good? As I understand it, they're less prone to chatter. I've had a single flute one for ages, but been too scared to use it, so just grab a cage and piloted countersink instead.

Back