What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vettermans 4 straight pipe exhaust

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I have an eye IO-370 Titan with a cold sump. Does anyone have pictures of their exhaust supports or better drawings than what came with the vettermans pipes? The drawings from Vetterman aren’t very clear. Pictures would be great.
Thanks

I have an eye IO-370 Titan with a cold sump. Does anyone have pictures of their exhaust supports or better drawings than what came with the vettermans pipes? The drawings from Vetterman aren’t very clear. Pictures would be great.
Thanks

Here are some from my XIO-360-M1B install.

20171021_172608.jpg20171021_172540.jpg20171021_172530.jpg

Note: I have changed the flat bar between the hangers to an angle for better support. The flat bar, as you can, see already has flex in it and this is just the initial install. I didn't care for that as I've seen others have failures in this bar.

Wow that looks so nice! Too bad it will get all greasy and ugly and move around and break a bunch of times over the years :eek:

Seriously, those hangars are one of the most annoying parts of maintaining my plane. I've gotten it to where they don't seem prone to breakage but they still want to shift and rotate over time. Mine (RV-6, O-360) has the verticals coming from the engine mount. I haven't kept up on what's changed over the years but I imagine hanging them from the sump would be an improvement.

I wonder about the solid cross-piece. I have the round tubes with flattened ends joined with heavy-duty hose, and in order to keep it from bowing I added a rod that goes all the way across and floats inside the tubes. Don't really know how this compares with other methods but it seems to work and hasn't broken in a while.

room for improvement

I ended up doing it exactly as Larry documents, but I feel that this is an area for someone like Mr. Nimmo to do some innovation. The automotive world seem to have figured this out. I went to the junkyard to pick up a lot of rubber hangers to see if there is a way to do this better - tried some things, but eventually punted.

What I did

Nice looking installation..when I built my -4, I did very similar by fabricating SS formed angle attachments at the exhaust tip support and the sump, however in lieu of a tube with rubber hose for flexibility, I used a SS 3/8" tube supports with Hiem rod ends similar to the elevator hinges. I have 10 years and several hundred hours with no issues at all,and no rubber to wear out. I have attached a picture, but its hard to see.

Attachments

• O320 right side.jpg
    O320 right side.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 242
Don't use those hangers.

You'll constantly be replacing or repairing that exhaust hanger setup. I was either replacing the small angle brackets or the rods at nearly every oil change. I would suggest a hanger setup similar to the pictures below.

The rubber is McMaster-Carr PN 1890T16

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Back