What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Push to Talk intermittent.

billnaz

Well Known Member
I'm dealing with an infuriatingly intermittent PTT problem. It only occurs after about an hour of flight. Failure is as if the PTT button is failing, with activation cutting in and out. I've already switched the switches with no change. I suspect a bad ground, but dread the thought of tracking that down. Any ideas from the brain trust on path to follow in trouble shooting?

I'm dealing with an infuriatingly intermittent PTT problem. It only occurs after about an hour of flight. Failure is as if the PTT button is failing, with activation cutting in and out. I've already switched the switches with no change. I suspect a bad ground, but dread the thought of tracking that down. Any ideas from the brain trust on path to follow in trouble shooting?

Do you have multiple radios in your plane? Does it happen on both radios? What audio panel?

-Marc

Possible culprit

Thanks for the tips. I may have found the problem. Seems some dummy omitted the fiber washers from the mic plug installation. Assuming this is the origin, it?s interesting that the paint on the part provided enough insulation for 12 years.

Thanks for the tips. I may have found the problem. Seems some dummy omitted the fiber washers from the mic plug installation. Assuming this is the origin, it?s interesting that the paint on the part provided enough insulation for 12 years.

The function of the washers is to eliminate potential ground loop noise. It should not affect the PTT function. Check the ground wire.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct

Push to talk is supposed to be intermittent :D

- mark

Back