What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 spar assembly and big bolt holes

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hallo. I ordered an RV-4 kit and am waiting for shipping.
I also ordered Phlogiston spars assembly.
Now I am wondering who makes the matching holes between wing spars and fuselage members. I guess wing spar holes are made from Van's. But what about matching with fuselage? Does the builder have to make them?

For my 6, back in 1996............the spar & fuse section were drilled to match, before I got them.

L.Adamson

The center-section fuselage bulkhead is supplied with the wing kit matched drilled with the spar....

Hallo. I ordered an RV-4 kit and am waiting for shipping.
I also ordered Phlogiston spars assembly.
Now I am wondering who makes the matching holes between wing spars and fuselage members. I guess wing spar holes are made from Van's. But what about matching with fuselage? Does the builder have to make them?

for my RV4 no holes pre drilled or otherwise, all drilled by hand.

dummy spars

Make two wooden replicas of the spars to put inside the spar / fuselage attach to ensure the spars will eventually mate snugly.

All: From way back in the early 80s, once the spar box is riveted up, maintain shims inside and complete framing/skinning. remove shims and install spars. Done. My wing/spar mate was very snug...27 years later, hoping I never have to de-mate!

Back