What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

need tips on strapping fuse to a flat bed towtruck

dwranda

Well Known Member
I'm about ready to transport my 9A to the hangar. What should or shouldn't I do when strapping the fuse to a flat bed? It's on it's gear with no tail or propeller attached.

I have had good results by reducing the tire pressure till it's noticeably low, tying the bottom of the landing gear to the trailer or flatbed, and then reinflating the tires. That tensions the ties and it's a solid connection. Probably also should tie the tail down with a line to either side of the bed to make a wide angle and pick up any side load.

Did this twice, the last moving an RV-10 to the airport.

Dave

Engine on or not? Seconding David's comments. But I also ran a few straps down around the engine mount to the front (near the cab) side tie points on the bed.

I've moved my -7 twice in last year with a flat bed tow truck. Pulled it on tail end first with a choker strap in front the the vertical stab attach pieces. Then used a basket strap over each main tire and cinched them down. Same straps they use to tie down over car tires. Tied down the tail with a rachet strap and worked great. Engine and prop are on but no tail surfaces.

Just be sure you tape the tail feathers together good so they don't flop around. It's really quite easy.
Block the tires, strap it down good and go.
Just try to keep the smile/grin off your face as you go.
People will be gawking for sure.
Oh ya stay off the highways and stick to back roads.
Oh ya I loaded mine engine end first and I actually made sure the tires were well inflated.
Art

canopy blown off

One of the builders in my area had his canopy blow off and destroyed while transporting his RV12 to airport. Don't know the details but it was a bad day.

Steve

Here are two pics of when I moved mine from my condo to the airport back in 2016. Wrapped and secured a tarp over the cockpit to protect the slider canopy and partial avionics from the possibility of rain that morning. Lots of double-takes from the other traffic at red lights.

Attachments

• IMAG1751.jpg
    IMAG1751.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG1752.jpg
    IMAG1752.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 117
If you take the cowl off you can strap the engine mount to the trailer very easy.
A 2x4 or 2x6 block bolted into the wing slot works well too.

Moving to the Airport

Here’s how we did it and it worked well. Brings back fond memories….

Attachments

• 058DE7D0-7B4F-4147-852F-4C4BAC85F567.jpeg
    058DE7D0-7B4F-4147-852F-4C4BAC85F567.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 130
  • A2F32860-8F3F-4352-AB1D-78247C858B08.jpeg
    A2F32860-8F3F-4352-AB1D-78247C858B08.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 148
Thanks everyone. The pics are super helpful. Looks like straps to the engine mount and over the tires. Also the tail tie down strapped to both sides. It's a 20 mile trip through rural country roads. A stressful half hour for me though. I may take the canopy off for the ride.

Back