What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Wrench Recommendation

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
What's a good brand of torque wrench that doesn't come with the Snap-on price tag?

In torqueing the C/S prop on the -10 yesterday, I had to borrow a torque wrench 'cause none of mine go that high.

Hi Kyle.

Take a look at CDI. It’s a Snap-On company without the Snap-On price. They are available on Amazon.

Interesting to see how many responses you get on this but you already have the complete range from $50 to $200 to $500.
I bought the CDI with a 100 Nm range because I wanted a Snap-On but couldn’t justify it for the 10 times I would use it in my lifetime.

An informal test of a few peoples 3/8 drive torque wrenches against a calibrator last year showed most of them were accurate.

Torque Wrench

Kyle

I just purchased a CDI 2502MRPH 3/8th drive. Its good from 30-250 inch/lbs.
I'll be using it on my engine mount and engine. Don't know what your prop specs are.
This wrench comes with the certs, and made in the USA and is only 11 inches long.

Hope this helps
Arnie

I'll throw in another vote for Tekton. I have 3 of their torque wrenches spanning from little inches to big pounds and have been happy with all of them. Seemed like a reasonable compromise of something above Harbor Freight, but nowhere near Snap-On pricing.

CDI

I have three CDI torque wrenches. Technically, one is a screwdriver. It starts at 5 in-lbs. Then a 1/4" and a 3/8.
I also have a generic 1/2" but that's for car stuff. Goes up to 300 ft-lbs. Yes, I've used it that high. Huge axle nut.:D

My A&P friend works on 737s. Bought an HF 1/2” two years ago for home use. Took it to work last December to see how closely calibrated it is. Was within his shop’s spec, whatever their spec is. On sale for “Spring Black Friday Deal” for $9.99 until 4/18. BTW, a local shop will calibrate and cert for $35.

My A&P friend works on 737s. Bought an HF 1/2” two years ago for home use. Took it to work last December to see how closely calibrated it is. Was within his shop’s spec, whatever their spec is. On sale for “Spring Black Friday Deal” for $9.99 until 4/18. BTW, a local shop will calibrate and cert for $35.

So it's $35 dollars to calibrate a $10 torque wrench that's worth maybe $2 dollars....:cool:

-Marc

So it's $35 dollars to calibrate a $10 torque wrench that's worth maybe $2 dollars....:cool:

-Marc

It’s $35 to calibrate any torque wrench. Whether you got it free or paid for a Binford 2000. Some obviously come with a certificate when new. Just pointing out what it costs locally to have one certified, if you like to keep them in spec.

Point is, Jim tested his two year old, lightly used HF model (for free) and it was well within 5%.

Not giving an opinion, just a data point.

:)

Back