What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newport News/Hampton Area RVation

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
Looks like the USAF is going to require my services in the Hampton/Newport News area (Langley AFB). Any advice on where to base the RV-6 in that area? Is KPHF friendly/affordable to experimental aviation, in anyone's experience?

Thanks for any advice/data,

Gadget

Looks like the USAF is going to require my services in the Hampton/Newport News area (Langley AFB). Any advice on where to base the RV-6 in that area? Is KPHF friendly/affordable to experimental aviation, in anyone's experience?

Thanks for any advice/data,

Gadget

I had a very nice layover on the way back from Florida one evening. Stopped in at the 1st FBO on the ramp. Can't remember the name. They gassed me and I don't remember them charging me any fees. They also warmed the plane for me and did a remarkable job! The guy knew not to burn the fiberglass or paint off of it!! Nice area in terms of hotels and restaurants. They shuttled me to a local hotel with most of the chain Chili's type restaurants right off the parking lot. The hotel drove me back the next morning.

I'm not sure how expensive it would be but worth a call.:)

KPHF

Jordan
There are several RVs at KPHF. I have a 7A, there is a 9A, a 6, and 2 10s all in hangars and flying. There is a 14 being built in a hangar and a 12 being built at the Denbigh Aviation Academy. I work at Langley. Give me a call or PM me and I can answer any details you might want to know.
Kent

Newport News

Many decades ago, I learned to fly at KPHF, we were a Boy Scout Explorer Post sponsored by Ram Aviation. Bunch of us trained and were licensed. Returning AF pilots from SE Asia were instructors. We operated a Grumman Yankee. Good training for an RV if you can get over the little wheel on the wrong end. Great memories of a fair number of pilots turned out while I was there. Wonder what happened to Explorer Post 323?

Back