What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR Flight Following and talking to the FSS

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Whenever I want VFR Flight Following, I call ATC up after getting airborne but I have yet to make that request while still on the ground via ground control. I'd like to give that a try.

The question is, once airborne how do I open my VFR flight plan? Seem like I have the following options:

1-After takeoff, and before I switch to ATC, I could make a quick call to FSS to open my flight plan.

2-After takeoff, switch to ATC but somehow excuse myself so that I can call FSS to open my flight plan. I’m not sure how I would go about this.

3-Of course, I could just revert back to what I usually do which is to takeoff then when I’m done with the tower, call FSS to open my flight plan. After that, request VFR Flight Following in the air.

What is the least awkward way of doing this?

Here’s a bonus question:

Let’s say I’m getting VFR Flight Following but I wanted to give a quick call to Flight Watch for a weather update or to report a PIREP. What is graceful way to do this?

Last edited:
Kelly, I rarely file a VFR flight plan any more, so I don't have any advice on your primary questions. But on the bonus question, its easy: just call ATC and let the controller know you want to leave the frequency briefly to talk with FSS. They will almost always say "approved, report when back on this frequency." The only time they may say "no" is when you are in a busy environment and they want you listening, not only for calls to you but for their calls to other traffic (both IFR and VFR) that may reference your position and route, where they want you both looking. The one time I can recall this was when westbound into Bremerton, coasting along at 10,500 over the Cascades, on a busy afternoon of departures from Sea-Tac. The controller's response was something like "Its really not a good time!" and I interpreted that accordingly and stayed on frequency.

Hope this helps - my $0.02

Actually, all three options work.
If, after initial contact with ATC, you wish to leave the frequency for any reason
(ATIS, FSS, call to FBO, et ), make a very simple, plain language request:

"Approach, RV123, request to leave frequency (reason optional), will report
Back on"

ATC will "normally" approve request:
"RV123, off frequency approved, advise back"

There are times when ATC may delay your off-freq request, depending
on the situation. For example, they may want to see you clear some traffic.

In any case, not a big deal.

I fly out of a small towered airport and let ground control know I'm flying VFR to xxxx and would like a flight following squawk. By the time I've taxied to the active, they have a squawk code and departure freq they'll hand you off to.

Once climbed to cruise altitude, let the controller know you want to go to FSS for a few min. Then you can open your flight plan, recheck Wx and report back on to ATC. Piece of cake....

Above have it covered. As noted, sometimes they'll ask you to stay with them due to traffic nearby, or perhaps an upcoming frequency change. (In which case it will be, ATC: "Make that request with the next controller".

My recommendation to you, since you fly out of busy airspace, would be to hold off on the flight plan until you're out of the immediate Bay area (e.g., central valley, Napa valley, Gilroy area). Then ask to leave the frequency, call FSS and tell them your time off. Don't forget to report back on frequency with ATC. "RV 123 back on frequency" will suffice.

Before xm or ADSB weather, I would often ask to leave the frequency to check with flight watch, especially when IFR. Better to know sooner rather than later that the weather at your destination has gone downhill!

At some Bay area airports (SCK, for example) ground control can get you a squawk code before takeoff, for flight following. Others, (LVK for example) will just give you a frequency for you to use after leaving class D. I don't know the policy at Reid-Hillview (assuming that's where you're based). SJC is in class C so they'll automatically give you one prior to departure.

ATC

At a class Bravo or Charlie airport, or some airports with terminal radar you will be dealing with clearance delivery first. They will usually ask if you want a handoff to center. If you want flight following all the way the answer is yes. A request for a handoff will result in a different transponder code than you would get with no handoff.
If you are getting "advisories" all the way to destination why would you want a flight plan???, especially if your destination airport has a control tower.
An abbreviated request to clearance would be Experimental 1234 9.5 to xyz, request handoff, information zulu

The airport I fly out of has a ground repeater to the nearby Class C Clearance Delivery. When I am about to depart on a cross country trip and want VFR flight following I'll call clearance delivery from the ground and make a request with them. Often this is from the FBO before I even do a preflight, and I tell them I'm departing in 20 minutes. What they give me back is usually just a frequency for initial contact (approach/departure control) and a squawk code. It actually works pretty well.

In the air, if I am departing and trying to initiate flight following and open a flight plan at the same time, I get established with flight following first. Then when things calm down with traffic I'll ask to leave the frequency to contact flight service. Typically they approve and ask me to report when back on frequency. If they don't approve it's because there's traffic around and having radar services is probably more helpful than opening that flight plan. You can always call flight service later and give them the departure time.

Any way you go is ok, try them all and decide what works best for you and the controllers in your area.

At a class Bravo or Charlie airport, or some airports with terminal radar you will be dealing with clearance delivery first. They will usually ask if you want a handoff to center. If you want flight following all the way the answer is yes. A request for a handoff will result in a different transponder code than you would get with no handoff.
If you are getting "advisories" all the way to destination why would you want a flight plan???, especially if your destination airport has a control tower.
An abbreviated request to clearance would be Experimental 1234 9.5 to xyz, request handoff, information zulu

I thought that too...

But having been dropped twice heading across the Sierras, and once by being too low under a solid cloud base west of Seattle, I now try filing a flight plan for long trips.

When you hear "Radar coverage lost, radar service terminated" you don't have many choices...:)

I also decided to install a 406 ELT, which makes some sense when you answer the question "Why am I filing a VFR Flight Plan?"

Last edited:
As mentioned, if you want both a flight plan open AND flight following, just ask to be excused momentarily. I have always approved that request unless there is an upcoming conflict ie traffic, airspace, handoff, etc.

Not sure what radio you're using but most have the capability to MONITOR one freq while talking on another. In that case, I might not even ask to be excused as long as I can handle listening AND talking at the same time.

I think the best option is to voice your request (flight following) as soon as possible, be it ground, clearance or whoever you speak to first. Then ask to be excused to talk to flight service. IF, and this is a big if, the controller doesn't sound too busy, you COULD ask him to call FSS and open it for you. Most will accommodate you if they are not too busy. (But they will curse you behind the scenes for doing something you should do on your own) :D

This does not directly address your question, but if you have an intercom with a "split COM" function you can have your co-pilot (even if not a pilot) call FSS on a separate radio. Food for thought.

Lots of good suggestions

It looks like there are several ways to skin this cat. I'll pick one and give it a try when I fly up to the Arlington Fly In next week.

Thanks for all the good advice as usual.

The only reason I don't get flight following on the ground at our airport is because control will usually vector us way out of our way before turning us on course. Not a problem requesting in the air and already on a direct route.

The question is, once airborne how do I open my VFR flight plan?

The purpose of a VFR flight plan is so search and rescue come looking if you don't make it to your destination on time. So what happens if the engine quits at 500 feet on initial takeoff? Who's coming looking? Unless someone (tower, fellow pilot, bystander, etc) sees you go down, no one. My point is that you should be opening the VFR flight plan on the ground...maybe even prior to engine start. Sure, you'll need to include startup and taxi into the time enroute so you're not late.

I know this goes against conventional/historical practices, but give it some thought. And as a bonus, you won't have to swap frequencies.

Fly safe,

Jim

Last edited:
A bit of a thread drift here...

but if I am VFR using flight following, flying into or through class Bravo airspace, talking to approach, do I still need to here the words "Cleared into the class B airspace"? Or is that a given being that I am radar identified already?. Establishing contact with ATC is the requirement for class C airspace but I believe a clearance into class B is required. Is that correct?
JimS

You must hear the controller tell you that you are cleared into the bravo. Even on flight following.

Kurt is correct. You must hear the controller say "Cleared into Bravo airspace" even if using flight following.

Once using flight following heading south toward DFW, I got a 10-minute warning of Bravo Airspace. I asked the controller if I would need to divert for Bravo airspace. His response was "Cleared to enter Bravo Airspace". I eventually was given vectors that took me right over Love Field and then turned me east toward KGDJ.

Yep,
That was the way I understood the regs but a discussion at a flyin lunch table made me question my memory. I am happy to report that my mind remains intact and I have won a soda on this point.
Thanks for the replies.
JimS

That's correct. The only time you don't need a specific clearance into B airspace is when you are already on a clearance (IFR) and you are vectored or your planned route takes you in.

Repeat Class B Clearance

I strongly suggest you always repeat your Class B clearance back to the controller.

This will help eliminate any misunderstanding and your response will be on the ATC tape, along with the controller's ... just in case there is an investigation ...

It looks like there are several ways to skin this cat. I'll pick one and give it a try when I fly up to the Arlington Fly In next week.

Thanks for all the good advice as usual.

i don't know how practical it is, but why not just call FSS on your cell phone right before you call for taxi? add 15 min or so depending on the departure queue (SJC doesnt ever seem super busy as a single airport)

the airspace, however, around the bay is pretty busy and there are generally quite a few frequency changes/traffic within the first 10 min of departure (i work most SFO and some SJC arrivals) and nordo vfrs are a bit of a pain, but mostly when they dont let us know they're leaving the freq or don't listen

if you have any specific questions, let me know

i don't know how practical it is, but why not just call FSS on your cell phone right before you call for taxi? add 15 min or so depending on the departure queue (SJC doesnt ever seem super busy as a single airport)

the airspace, however, around the bay is pretty busy and there are generally quite a few frequency changes/traffic within the first 10 min of departure (i work most SFO and some SJC arrivals) and nordo vfrs are a bit of a pain, but mostly when they dont let us know they're leaving the freq or don't listen

if you have any specific questions, let me know

Cool thanks.

I'm thinking it will be simpler to take off and get settled at cruise altitude before I call to get Flight Following. I'll probably try that somewhere between LVK and SUU and open my flight plan before I get to LVK.

Cool thanks.

I'm thinking it will be simpler to take off and get settled at cruise altitude before I call to get Flight Following. I'll probably try that somewhere between LVK and SUU and open my flight plan before I get to LVK.

that would certainly work. things really calm down once you get past LVK as the big traffic flows are behind you (SFO and OAK), but then it takes away one of the points of flight following, being traffic advisories, on the busiest leg of your flight.

i would either do as you described and call for FF near LVK or try to get a xpndr code from SJC tower (don't know if they do that or not but my gut tells me they do) as it vastly simplifies the process of ID'ing you and getting you a bravo clearance if you need/want one and would afford you another layer of safety. if not SJC tower then 121.3 when tower gets rid of you.

"norcal departure, experimental 12345 just off SJC, VFR flight following to Alpha Papa Charlie"
- or -
"norcal departure experimental 12345 3 north of SJC request bravo transition to Alpha papa charlie at X point 5"

Flight Following

I stopped filing flight plans in the 80s. I flight follow as a rule when on a transportation (ie not acro, etc.) flights. Even when I am dropped (based at Santa Rosa, Cali, so commonly dropped in the middle of the Sierras), they have my track, destination, and next expected frequency...plus staying on freq, I can contact via radio even if I need a relay from someone else on freq. Had a power interruption in a 172 a month ago over eastern Oregon, and Seattle gave me two nearest runways and vectors within seconds, and watched me into the pattern of Condon, Oregon. Sheriff met our plane taxiing in. Way its sposed to work. MTCents J N95JF

ArVeeNiner

Hey, transit your Class B from time to time. Hope I am not a pain! What's a "nordo vfr"? Headed down to PAO tomorrow from STS and back, so looking for a "direct SFO, west of the Bayshore, 5,500" and a "west of the Bayshore, maintain at or above 2500 over San Carlos Class D, direct SFO, direct STS 4500" if you are working 20.9 or 35.1. N95JF John

Quick update and lessons learned

I thought I'd post a follow up on what I ended up doing during my recent trip up to Arlington, WA from KRHV.

I ended up NOT requesting VFR FF on the ground. I went ahead and took off and once I was out of RHV's airspace, I opened my flight plan in the air. Then, I asked for FF in the air. This is how I usually do it and it was very easy. On the way back, I did things the same with no problems.

I was amazed that I started talking with Oakland Center at a point north of Travis until the Mt. Shasta area. I didn't know they went so far.

There seems to be a lot less frequency changes and traffic reports going up north than when I headed down south to Death Valley. Either way, the controllers seemed happy to provide the service.

I had an interesting thing happen to me on the way back after my gas stop in California. I had FF all the way there, then terminated, landed, and got gas. After take off I called Center again with my tail number and "request". They immediatly had me squawk a code, then asked me where I wanted to go. I guess they just assumed that I wanted FF or maybe they remembered me from earlier. I don't know but it sure was convenient.

Here is my lesson learned: DON'T FORGET TO UPDATE YOUR ENROUTE TIME IF YOU'RE RUNNING LATE OR ELSE THEY WILL COME LOOK FOR YOU! :eek: I've never had that happen before. I filed my flight plan using Foreflight but I left the default, best case enroute time and filed with that time. Well, at some time in the flight I slowed down a bit. I was smoothing out some of the bumps. Well, when I got to Arlington and called to close my flight plan, the nice lady told me that they were looking for me. Doh! Literally less than a minute later, the phone rang and it was another nice lady calling to see if I had made it. A few minutes later, a guy runs up to me to remind me to close my flight plan. Well, I guess it's good to know the system works! On the way back, I made sure to pad my enroute time quite a bit!!

Another observation: I have the Zaon MRX and it usually works pretty well. I was surprised at the number of times that it remaned quiet while ATC warned me of traffic. I know both myself and the traffic were being painted but the MRX didn't show anything.

Anyway, consider myself a loyal user of FF. It gives you a lot of piece of mind. The only negative is that ATC constantly interups my music by talking to somebody else!!! ;)

I was amazed that I started talking with Oakland Center at a point north of Travis until the Mt. Shasta area. I didn't know they went so far.

There seems to be a lot less frequency changes and traffic reports going up north than when I headed down south to Death Valley. Either way, the controllers seemed happy to provide the service.

After take off I called Center again with my tail number and "request".

Here is my lesson learned: DON'T FORGET TO UPDATE YOUR ENROUTE TIME IF YOU'RE RUNNING LATE OR ELSE THEY WILL COME LOOK FOR YOU!
On the way back, I made sure to pad my enroute time quite a bit!!

Anyway, consider myself a loyal user of FF. It gives you a lot of piece of mind. The only negative is that ATC constantly interups my music by talking to somebody else!!! ;)

1. Center airspace is big, there aren't that many of them. On the west coast it's Seattle, Oak, LA.
2. Sector size varies with traffic. Less traffic going north than south.
3. "request". You should know that using this word drives some controllers nuts, as it's extraneous (of course you have a request, otherwise you wouldn't be calling).
4. Padding your time enroute delays the time that search and rescue are notified, so don't go to excess. I move my watch from left to right wrist, and that reminds me every time I look at it to close a flight plan, or call FSS and update it if I'm running late. On a long trip updates are a good idea anyway, it narrows potential seatch areas.
5. Music. Now you know why I, and others, consider 'music mute' to be useless. Turn mute off ('kereokee mode') and keep music volume low enough that you can hear the radios. Unless you like loud music, in which case there's no good solution.

Flight plan

I had a eastbound flight out of Calif. over to Kemmerer, Wy. a while back, filed a flight plan on WingX just to see how it was done, never activated it though. Once airborne I contacted Oakland for FF, they had my info right there, knew my type A/C and destination and planned altitude just from my tail number.
I was surprised they would have the flight plan info at all, especially as it wasn't activated, I thought that was the realm of the FSS only.
Tim.

Last edited:
I had a eastbound flight out of Calif. over to Kemmerer, Wy. a while back, filed a flight plan on WingX just to see how it was done, never activated it though. Once airborne I contacted Oakland for FF, they had my info right there, knew my type A/C and destination and planned altitude just from my tail number.
I was surprised they would have the flight plan info at all, especially as it wasn't activated, I thought that was the realm of the FSS only.
Tim.

Maybe they got it from Homeland Security.....:eek:

Tim.

That strikes me as odd as well. Are you sure you didn't inadvertantly file an IFR flight plan?

+1 on the inadvertant ifr filing. ATC doesn't usually deal with vfr flight plans at all (which is why you have to call FSS to open/close them).

I stopped filing flight plans in the 80s. I flight follow as a rule when on a transportation (ie not acro, etc.) flights. Even when I am dropped (based at Santa Rosa, Cali, so commonly dropped in the middle of the Sierras), they have my track, destination, and next expected frequency...plus staying on freq, I can contact via radio even if I need a relay from someone else on freq. Had a power interruption in a 172 a month ago over eastern Oregon, and Seattle gave me two nearest runways and vectors within seconds, and watched me into the pattern of Condon, Oregon. Sheriff met our plane taxiing in. Way its sposed to work. MTCents J N95JF

This was commented on already earlier to another member, but thought it might be worth mentioning again as the same thought processes reappear. Not trying to say what to do but in the above case; but if you lost your ability to use radios and left the frequency due to battery or structural failure or work load, etc and landed off field for whatever reason ATC would not initiate search and rescue procedures without a VFR flight plan when operating VFR. In the case above, luckily you were able to relay your plight to ATC and they went above and beyond in this case, time permitting, to initiate search and rescue procedures on your behalf. Under most cases where radio contact is lost or the pilot is unable to initiate it, this would not happen. Several days later there might be a discovered log of your aircraft leaving frequency at some location if people were asking the right people the right questions, but there would be no search and rescue efforts mounted when these efforts could offer assistance to potentially injured and exposure stranded crew or passengers. I agree it's excellent resource management and great practice to use flight following when practical and available - but it is not in fact a one to one replacement for a VFR flight plan.

My vote for easiest way to initiate/activate a VFR flight plan is to call the FSS on the ground before departure. Good advice is mentioned here too, on memory aids to ensure the VFR flight plan is closed appropriately after the flight (second most important part of activating the flight plan - remembering to close it after the flight or to extend the time or update the plan if extensions or diversions require).

Not sure

That strikes me as odd as well. Are you sure you didn't inadvertantly file an IFR flight plan?

I really don't believe I did activate it. As I said it was a wingX file. I'm not even sure you can activate it from WingX. I KNOW I didn't call to activate it, haven't used a Vfr FP in years. And I never closed it either as I had not opened it.
I'm wondering if Paul's tongue in cheek comment may have merit? This was actually last years flight to OSH.
Tim

I see I misread the comment on inadvertent IFR file, no way was it a IFR flight plan. In fact, when I first called Oakland the controller asked if my destination was still KEMM and corrected my incorrectly filed WEST bound Vfr cruising altitude for me.

Last edited:
The controller has NO IDEA that you filed a VFR flight plan. They would not have any information on that either. I'm thinking you filed an IFR flight plan. When that is accomplished, the controller is then informed about who you are and what you want. So when you came up stating you wanted VFR flight following, the controller saw your IFR plan and just amended it to VFR for you.

At least that is my assumption because there is no other logical explanation. VFR flight plan information is not forwarded to ATC....ONLY the FSS handles that aspect.

Eddie P

On pain of beating the horse to death...if the fan does not work, your radio probably will on the last few joules from the battery. Call up anyone on freq, and they will relay, assuming Center cannot hit you (radio coverage is quite a bit better than radar coverage, in my experience). If the radio does not work, keep on flying. I think your concern is if both fan and radio fail simultaneously...well, I guess it could happen, and that would be unfortunate....but, a remote possibility, I hope! My experience is RVs tend to hit the ground when the pilots run out of airspeed, ideas and altitude (over 27 years, 2 hangermates and more than a few acquaintances), and failure in cruise flight is uncommon. But, one of the beauties of experimentals is we get to make all these decisions for ourselves....I am sticking with flight following and nix on flight plan. Best and look me up if you make it to STS and want to see a really old RV4! John [email protected]

Like I said, I hope I'm not coming across as trying to tell anyone what to do. For me, if I die in a spin accident for example (altitude, airspeed and ideas type of thing) and don't get found for 2 weeks, a search and rescue party would not have saved me even if they had seen me go in and were on the spot within minutes. In this supposed example, it still is not just me however - I have others to think about and it changes my planning a bit. For my family, I don't want them to be responsible for initiating recovery efforts, or dealing with what if scenarios, pain and anguish otherwise... I'd like them to know my status as soon as possible and that everything would have been done to help if help was possible. That's why I am apt to file a flight plan (for a VFR cross country trip) even if I thought it would only find a wreck in a stall spin scenario, for example. However, I am also quite keenly aware of many other types of downed aircraft scenarios where a somewhat timely rescue led to a safe outcome and good story rather than a body recovery. Then again I have a "spot" GPS alterter too I can use if I'm alert. I guess it's my hiking, outdoor activities and brief history of flying medical evac and such that makes me consider the possibility of ending up in hostile territory some day? So those are my personal reasons. Everyone makes their own choices, we are all big boys and girls here and there are many variables that make a choice for one person not quite right for the next :)

Last edited:
Like I said, I hope I'm not coming across as trying to tell anyone what to do. For me, if I die in a spin accident for example (altitude, airspeed and ideas type of thing) and don't get found for 2 weeks, a search and rescue party would not have saved me even if they had seen me go in and were on the spot within minutes. In this supposed example, it still is not just me however - I have others to think about and it changes my planning a bit. For my family, I don't want them to be responsible for initiating recovery efforts, or dealing with what if scenarios, pain and anguish otherwise... I'd like them to know my status as soon as possible and that everything would have been done to help if help was possible. That's why I am apt to file a flight plan (for a VFR cross country trip) even if I thought it would only find a wreck in a stall spin scenario, for example. However, I am also quite keenly aware of many other types of downed aircraft scenarios where a somewhat timely rescue led to a safe outcome and good story rather than a body recovery. Then again I have a "spot" GPS alterter too I can use if I'm alert. I guess it's my hiking, outdoor activities and brief history of flying medical evac and such that makes me consider the possibility of ending up in hostile territory some day? So those are my personal reasons. Everyone makes their own choices, we are all big boys and girls here and there are many variables that make a choice for one person not quite right for the next :)

The above is an excellent reason to upgrade your 121.5 ELT to a newer 406 version and to add in a GPS connection to your avionics.

I know they are not perfect, but the new ELTs are an improvement over the older ones.

It is to help the remaining family as much as for rescue efforts.

VFR Flight plan?

On a recent flight from North Las Vegas to Sunriver, OR with a stop in Lovelock, NV for $5.15/gal 100LL (yes, that cheap!), I started to question my lack of a VFR flight plan. Even as I slowly climbed through 8500', trying to keep my CHT's below 400 in the 90* heat over VERY desolate, dry, rugged terrain, I was unable to raise Center to pick up flight following for what seemed like forever. It was probably just 5 minutes, but over that terrain with only about 2 quarts of water on board, it was a bit nerve racking, even with a huge dry lake bed below me. Add to that, that on the flight south, a large area was lacking radar coverage due to maintenance, I'm rethinking my dependance on Flight Following and my SPOT in the event of an emergency.

Thankfully, other than two hours of light to moderate chop even at 12'500, it was an uneventful flight.

Hey, transit your Class B from time to time. Hope I am not a pain! What's a "nordo vfr"? Headed down to PAO tomorrow from STS and back, so looking for a "direct SFO, west of the Bayshore, 5,500" and a "west of the Bayshore, maintain at or above 2500 over San Carlos Class D, direct SFO, direct STS 4500" if you are working 20.9 or 35.1. N95JF John

i'll keep an eye out. NORDO is ATC jargon for "no radio contact."

a lot of pilots just leave the frequency, even in the bravo, and don't respond for a few minutes. it makes things... interesting.

i'll keep an eye out for you! The frequencies I would get you on would most likely be 133.95 and 134.5. (SFO feeders)

search and rescue for VFRs is a FSS function. ATC might do it but it's not a requirement. it's not uncommon fo VFRs to just leave a frequency and never report back. in a standard work week I probably get 5-10. that said, simultaneous loss of radar and radio is unsettling and would probably warrant some extra effort by ATC. however, there are portions of the country that this is common (due to terrain or equipment) and would not warrant a second glance by most controllers.

the only thing that is going to set off alarms (at FSS, not ATC) is a vfr flight plan. atc does NOT have access to these, it is only FSS. and they are, generally speaking, the only safety net for VFRs (unless you communicate your plight to us).

Last edited:
Echo Tango

Hey, did you send me out "west of 280, maintain 2500" on my way back north from PAO? Grrr! Too low! We wanted to look for the Asiana hulk (OK, 1.3 VSO was not part of their training, me thinks) and were a little too westerly. And I hate low over houses and water, too....Anyway, I take your point re ATC...but, how often do I not have radar and radio? hmmm, eastbound from Half Dome to Mammoth...for 20 miles. some spots out over the Basin...Ashland area...and even then, I usually have radio...and even then, I have folks on freq who can relay. Turning the coin over, how many times is a flight plan followed closely? My reality is that deviations are common especially when the weather is foul....if you are deviating 20 miles for weather, a flight plan is pretty useless for S&R....but talking to Center/Approach...ah, I love it...I have had three en route emergencies in 32 years flying, and twice Center had my back each time down to the pattern. Fortunately, the time I did not have Center, and I had a "guaranteed for life" oil hose fail, I glided to an airport where the runway was literally torn up...but there was a sweet, short taxiway just perfect for a deadstick RV4....and it had an open bar. J N95JF

Hey, did you send me out "west of 280, maintain 2500" on my way back north from PAO? Grrr! Too low! We wanted to look for the Asiana hulk (OK, 1.3 VSO was not part of their training, me thinks) and were a little too westerly. And I hate low over houses and water, too....Anyway, I take your point re ATC...but, how often do I not have radar and radio? hmmm, eastbound from Half Dome to Mammoth...for 20 miles. some spots out over the Basin...Ashland area...and even then, I usually have radio...and even then, I have folks on freq who can relay. Turning the coin over, how many times is a flight plan followed closely? My reality is that deviations are common especially when the weather is foul....if you are deviating 20 miles for weather, a flight plan is pretty useless for S&R....but talking to Center/Approach...ah, I love it...I have had three en route emergencies in 32 years flying, and twice Center had my back each time down to the pattern. Fortunately, the time I did not have Center, and I had a "guaranteed for life" oil hose fail, I glided to an airport where the runway was literally torn up...but there was a sweet, short taxiway just perfect for a deadstick RV4....and it had an open bar. J N95JF

Nope, ive been on vacation for 2 weeks

Back