What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling hinge pins.

N29945

I recently purchased a 6A and I need to repair the cowling fasteners, the pins are migrating almost all the way out in a hour flight, what is a good source of the four stainless pins that needs to be replaced with a longer pins so I can secure them.
The existing pin will fit snugly in a 7/64 drill bit index hole.
I looked in the Spruce catalog and did not find anything.

Jim Skinner
Exempt, but privileged to donate

McMaster-Carr sells this material in just about every diameter imaginable.

Search for Multipurpose O1 Tool Steel Tight-Tolerance Rod.

Use the pin for the hinges you have. Most have a smaller pin for the horizontal side hinges, larger diameter for aft cowl to fuselage hinge. The top cowl pin can is the smaller (but uses larger hinge) so the pin can make the bend. I use the larger pin and just reduce the diameter for the first 10” or so of the pin to make the bend. This removes some of the slop in the top center of the cowl.

Van’s will sell you the pins. The smaller pins will be in a coil (easy to ship), larger diameter pins will be sent in a PVC tube: https://store.vansaircraft.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Hinge+pin&product_list_mode=grid

ACS is about the same: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/03-49000-3.php

No matter what, every cowl pin must have a retaining mechanism. Recommend you add these when you do this maintenance. No pin can be allowed to “migrate”.

There are good but easy ways to achieve this, as well harder and not as good.

Carl

Side hinges

Are the horizontal cowl side hinges different than the top and vertical side hinges?

It seems I only have enough of the big hinge material for the top and sides. I have enough small hinge for the sides. Dont know if I need to order more of the big or not.

Smaller hing goes on the side. Most use the.090 diameter pins for the top cowl to firewall.
Hope this helps
RD

Back