What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV-3’s in the KALB Area?

seanRV8

I'm New Here
Hello everyone. I just think I’m too big right now for an RV-3 but before writing owning one off I figured I’d ask if anyone with an RV-3 was anywhere near me for me to look at. If anyone has a good WB data sheet for one that would be helpful also.

FLY SAFE

Sean

I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs. No issues fitting in mine.

When going taller than that, legroom might become an issue, I'd think 6'6" max??. Without cushions, I would not even come close to looking over the cowling properly, so plenty of headroom to work with.

When going larger than my 220 lbs (broad shoulders or slightly below that), I really don't see any issues. The thing is surprisingly roomy.

I was 5’10” and about 250 pounds when I owned my first RV-3. It was snug, but do-able. I’m now at about 190 pounds and lots of things are better—including fitting in the 3!

I think the limiting factor would be long legs. I’m pretty average in terms of proportions top to bottom and I have 2 fists worth of room between the top of my head and the slider canopy unless I add a booster cushion under my normal upholstery. I wouldn’t want to be a whole lot taller in terms of leg length.

FWIW...

RV4

I guess if you're really tall, when building the plane you could always opt for an RV4-style cutout in the bottom firewall to create more legroom...

Pic ripped from Matt's RV4 build thread:
24791852067_5093914c87_c.jpg

Tight

I am 6'2" around 195lbs. 34 inch legs. It is a tight fit for me and I am good for about 1.5 hours then time to stretch. It is my opinion that anyone larger than that is just having too much fun to notice. Best have a GPS in the panel as well because anything on your knees is tight as well. I have an 8inch tablet and a small kneeboard which always seems to be in the way.

Otherwise a blast.

Good info to hear

Have been waiting on replies to his question as I have just purchased a 3 and it is being flown in today. Currently fly an 8 and purchased the 3 on a whim with out even seeing it in person. The pilot picking it up says there is no way I, 6'2" 200# will fit but I hope he is wrong. Thoughts on adjustments/mods that work. Looking for ideas.

6’1” and 198 lbs and I manage. It’s tight but fine. My knees come close to the bottom of the instrument panel as the builder positioned the pedals probably had shorter legs. I always check my headset clearance and adjust the seat cushions accordingly.

Have been waiting on replies to his question as I have just purchased a 3 and it is being flown in today. Currently fly an 8 and purchased the 3 on a whim with out even seeing it in person. The pilot picking it up says there is no way I, 6'2" 200# will fit but I hope he is wrong. Thoughts on adjustments/mods that work. Looking for ideas.

The space IS there. You might need to free some up by doing some work on cushions or length of rudder cables, but you'll be fine.

Vans himself has your height. Should say it all.

Congrats on your purchase!!!

Back