What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root fairings

Lufthans

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

What's the word on wing root fairings on a -3?

I noticed the plans leave it up to the builder to choose for either go with the flat sheet wing root fairings with rubber strip that seems to be the standard from the -4 onwards, or fabricate ones own flberglass rounded fairings.

Mine came with the latter, of very questionable quality and I am contemplating on either replacing them with compound-curve aluminum ones in the same style (I've got the crimper/stretcher tools and plenty of scrap material to practice), or just go with the later style flat plates and rubber strip.

Any reason to choose for either style?

Thanks

Hans

fairing.png

The flat sheet wing root fairings have proven to be the most efficient on the RV series of aircraft.

If speed is a consideration, the flat plates are faster.

If looks are the main consideration, the fillets do look nicer, but they're a lot more work to make, and won't be as fast.

Hans, (as a side observation) from your pic there appears to be just one row of rivets down the skin overlap at the F 305 bulkhead (at the seat back area) when the plans show an overlap rivet line there. I would also question the rivet spacing on the mid stringer, looks greater than the 1 1/4 called for on the drawing. Obtaining the plans and drawings from Vans on the USB stick would be good if you haven't already done so. Congrats on getting it home in one piece, that was a remarkable description of the flight home.

Russell

Attachments

• 23_3.pdf
    394.3 KB · Views: 227
No kidding

Yikes, good catch Russell!

I've got a set of plans here and it seems I'll need to use them to check on rivet lines and rivet spacing. Indeed, there is only one line of rivets on the F-305 bulkhead (and not enough material left to do a second rivet line). Also the rivet spacing around the firewall is at 2" rather than the called for 1".

Interestingly, the rivet line along the bottom (F-325 to F-324) is closer than called for at 1" rather than 1-1/4, so it has not all been about cutting corners.

I had figured that while not the best of work, the basis of the airframe was solid (because not touched by the previous builder). Seems like that assessment can go out of the window.

THANK YOU!

Confused

Russell,

Sheets 21 and 22 of my plans set seem to suggest a single rivet line and different rivet spacings than what's on sheet 23 (the one that you've posted).

I've moved my question to the Plans Clarifications section, but I am confused...

Back