What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 flight instructor

TShort

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of purchasing a flying -10

I've been surprised at the relative lack of training requirements for insurance. I've got around 650TT, 150 or so tailwheel and probably 10 of dual in an RV-6. One quote only required 2 hours of dual in the airplane.

Having said that, I am not interested in squeaking by with the minimums. I'd like to find someone with time and experience in the RV-10 to do some dual instruction and get well trained in the airplane.

Are there any instructors out there that will do dual in my airplane? I'm located on the N side of Indianapolis.

Alternatively, is there anyone doing transition training besides Mike Seager? With my schedule for the next several months getting out to OR is impossible.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the process of purchasing a flying -10

I've been surprised at the relative lack of training requirements for insurance. I've got around 650TT, 150 or so tailwheel and probably 10 of dual in an RV-6. One quote only required 2 hours of dual in the airplane.

Having said that, I am not interested in squeaking by with the minimums. I'd like to find someone with time and experience in the RV-10 to do some dual instruction and get well trained in the airplane.

Are there any instructors out there that will do dual in my airplane? I'm located on the N side of Indianapolis.

Alternatively, is there anyone doing transition training besides Mike Seager? With my schedule for the next several months getting out to OR is impossible.

Thanks in advance.

The -10 is not difficult to fly. Given your experience a 2 hour dual requirement is not unusual. However, expect a fairly high premium until you have 100 or so hours in type.
You should be able to find a cfi for this. The issue is for new builders, who need the instructor to furnish the RV-10 airplane. Insurance costs have driven most of us out of this business (Mike S is able to use the Vans' factory demo airplanes). But since you will furnish the plane (and presumably insurance) this is not an issue for you. Tim Olson (Minnesota) or Dave Maib (Florida) might be willing to fly to you.

Last edited:
Bob-

Thanks for the info.

I thought the quotes weren't too bad ... range from $2518-2747 from 3 different carriers. Really not too far off what I pay for the 172 and 170, given the increased hull value.

I didn't make the connection regarding insuring new builders for training in an instructor's plane. That makes sense. This airplane has the 25 hours flown off, so that isn't an issue.

I would just like to get good training from someone who is very familiar with the RV-10.

Thomas

Tim and Dave both fit that description. They are on this forum.

Thanks for the kind words, Bob.

Tom, Tim is a lot closer to you than I am, so I would reach out to him first. If he cannot help you, send me a PM and we'll see what we can figure out. (Indianapolis in the winter time!!:eek:)
Congratulations on your new airplane. You're gonna love it!

There is a great guy in Chicago that did my first flight and my transition training in my plane. He has a lot of RV experience, including the 10. I ran his credentials passed my insurance company and they approved him for the training sign off. He is a CFII and ATP that fly's commercially (20,000+ hours).

PM me if you want his info. He fly's around to deliver RV's and do training.

Larry

Last edited:
I pay $2200 per year in insurance for my 10. When I reach 800 total hours (all hours, not just 10), that will drop to $1800. I am about 15 hours away from that.

My insurance company did not require ANY particular hours of dual. They just required that I get a sign off from an instructor who had at least 5 hours of time in an RV-10.

It took me two days and four hours of dual to get that sign off. The RV-10 is really very easy to fly relative to my previous Cherokees.

My first solo, which was the start of a 1500 nm flight, did not go too well as I found a "quirk" in the leaning process that caused me to over lean while at the same time a CHT sensor failed and confused me as to what was going on. But, I over came this issue and figured it out while orbiting a field (just in case).

So, I relay this anecdote because, learning to fly a 10 is pretty darn easy. But, learning the "gotchas" of your particular 10 take some time and involves some risk unrelated to type or flight characteristics.

Back