What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coyote Dry Lake - land there?

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever landed on Coyote Dry Lake bed in San Bernardino County (north of Barstow)? Any gotchas or things to know? Looks like a decent surface from what I can tell.

Well, now that you put this out there, I'm pretty sure Vlad will fly out there and test it out for you!:D

Careful

Be careful landing at non airports in los angeles and san bernadino counties. You might be in violation of fire department regulations. Retired fire marshall warned me 15 years ago.
Robinson helicopter test pilots were landing at a restruant off the 10 fwy in the pass and got busted.

Last edited:
Dry Lakes

...We have landed on most of the dry lakes around southern Ca. many times. We have never been approached or advised not to do so. Also we regularly use them for filming commercials and TV bits. The only one we were told was a serious NO-NO and would be cited was Ivanpah Dry Like (preserve) off interstate 10 at Prim Nev. state line. They get irate and really nasty, Sky King did it all the time? Thanks, Allan...:D

Dry lakes are fun but...

Be mindful of any water, from either sudden rain or left over from a storm. Dry lakes can turn into a muddy mess in a hurry. Also, the dirt from dry lakes gets EVERYWHERE! You can spend a lot more time removing the dirt than the few minutes it seems to take to get in to the nooks and crannies of an airplane.

~Marc

Ive certainly done ElMirage and Rosamond a number of times. The former has at times been during the lakes speed trials with lots of park rangers and law enforcement about. Not saying it's right, but nobody has ever said a word to me despite me taxiing right up to the edge of the crowd and parking.

Back